Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Migration Assistant & Assimilating/Merging accounts

Migration Assistant & Assimilating/Merging accounts
nebulousforce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 04:55 PM

Hi,
I took a leap of faith by purchasing my latest new Mac, choosing the new Intel iMac and not a PPC. A huge leap in technology- G3 iBook 466SE Calmshell to a iMac 2.0 ICD 20" loaded w/2GB ram, 500GB Hard Drive, and worth the extra $75; 256MB of video ram. I totally dig the new iMac with the exception of a few quirks which I'll post them somewhere else in the fourms here.
Now on to my question at hand. When I 1st unpacked the new system I didn't use the Migration Assistant right away as I suppose I was excited and so were all of my friends and coworkers so I created a user account for my friends to play with at work for a day and for my other friends when we all got together one weekend to check it out. BTW Photo Booth and Comic Life rocks when showing it off! Anyway, I made a new account for myself and one for everyone else to use/play with. After several days went by, I decided to use Migration Assistant to move all my files from the iBook to the iMac. It took almost 3 hours! I suppose the length of time was consumed by Spotlight indexing the new data almost 40GB. My not so serious delima is that now I want to assimilate or merge all of the accounts into one. Not much to even worry about on the account I created for my friends to use, just a few Photo Booth pics and a Comic Life which I'm not worried about as I've made copies and emailed them out already. I want to merge my new account with my old one from my iBook without the loss of most of my email iTunes, music and new Safari bookmarks etc. Is there an easy way to do this or am I just unaware that this is almost a "no brainer"?
Thanks for any help, tips or suggestions.

nebulousforce  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 03:07 PM

Hmm, can I reply to myself? Maybe I should rephrase it? If I delete an account and everything goes to a home folder what would I lose and what would I save? I'm mainly concerned with mail and itunes music and videos that I've purchased with that user account. May Apple store account would remain unchanged.

Forum Links
Forum Rules