Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Short FireWire Cables - Where Can I Get Some?

Short FireWire Cables - Where Can I Get Some?
Koralatov
Senior User
Oct 12, 2007, 12:50 PM

I'm currently running an external HD via USB 2.0 on my iMac, but I'm going to be moving the HD out of its current enclosure into a miniStack v2. I've got a second HD that will soon be in another miniStack and, when I get Leopard, a third for Time Machine. I plan on daisy-chaining them and stacking them out of sight.

The only slight problem is that I'll be left with a whopping tangle of cables around the HD stack. I bought a Belkin FW and USB hub for £3 from PC World the other day, and it came with a really short (maybe three-inch) FireWire cable, as the hub was specifically designed to sit under or above the mini, so a long cable is unnecessary.

Normally, I'd just go buy a bunch of hubs, keep the cable and eBay them, but PC World hasn't got any left. Any idea where I could get a few more?

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2007, 10:01 AM

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2007, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the link, but they're still a bit on the long side. I'm looking for something more in the six-inch length. Anyone have any ideas? Googling "short firewire cables" came up empty.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2007, 11:00 PM

Does Apple still sell the thin, short firewire cables? They're 0.5 m long, but thin and easy to coil.
Not sure if this link will work, but...: The Apple Store (U.S.) - Apple FireWire Cable Kit (6 to 6 pin - 0.5m/19 inches)

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2007, 12:49 PM

Maybe you can find those retractable ones... maybe at Radioshack or ebay or something...
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2007, 04:50 PM

12 inch Firewire Cable FireWire Cable 6 Pin to 6 Pin 12 Inch (Great... (13946612) at OWC seems to be the most common. I'vew seen mention of a 9 inch Firewire cable included with external drives, but they don't seem to be sold separately. The only other thing are the expensive retractable Firewire cables like Keyspan's Keyspan | Products | Retractable Products
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Oct 17, 2007, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
12 inch Firewire Cable FireWire Cable 6 Pin to 6 Pin 12 Inch (Great... (13946612) at OWC seems to be the most common. I'vew seen mention of a 9 inch Firewire cable included with external drives, but they don't seem to be sold separately. The only other thing are the expensive retractable Firewire cables like Keyspan's Keyspan | Products | Retractable Products
I finally found something like what I'm looking for: an 8-inch 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. Granted, it's $12, but the dollar is low just now, and I'd rather pay a little extra to get what I wanted than make do and have huge amounts of cable lying around everywhere. Thanks for the input though.

As for the retractable cables, whilst I think they're a good idea, I'm not really sold on them. The reel in the middle makes them a little bulky and causes more clutter than just using a foot-long cable would.

Edit: Damn it. They don't ship outside the US. I have, however, found a place in the UK that sells 0.3m (~1') cables for £3.99. I suppose that's the best I'll find.
( Last edited by Koralatov; Oct 17, 2007 at 07:44 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules