Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NEW MATRIX Trailer!!-Pretty cool!!

NEW MATRIX Trailer!!-Pretty cool!!
vmpaul
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 10:32 PM

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 10:37 PM

Those twins are pretty amazing.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.co...ler_final.html

Wow, this is going to be cool.
Holy ****!
5.15.03? NO!!!!!!!!!

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 10:53 PM

beat me to post by the minute
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2003, 10:54 PM

Super hi-res version here:

http://progressive1.stream.aol.com/w...al_1000_dl.zip

It's a biggie though - 95MB

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 11:20 PM

i'm definitely seeing it and buying the DVD box set of the three when it comes out...
Ryan

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
i'm definitely seeing it and buying the DVD box set of the three when it comes out...
With the Animatrix

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 11:53 PM

wtf. is the animatrix?!
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 12:06 AM

Woo hoo it comes out on my birthday just like Star Wars (almost)!

May 15 = teh r0xx0rZ

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2003, 12:11 AM

My birthday's on the 15th as well. Can't wait.

vmpaul  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 12:17 AM

I just hope the story is as good as the special effects.

We've seen movies that rely solely on effects and the results weren't too good (SW ep1 & 2).

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 12:27 AM

I hope the soundtrack is as good as the last one. btw, who is that chick w/ the weird hair near the end? Isn't she in the video game too?

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 12:37 AM

It looks like a great movie. However, I'll probably wait about two weeks after release before I see it. I waited a week after LOTR 2 came out, and the theatre was horribly packed with the most annoying of people. Completely ruined the movie for me :/

I'm not going to let the dumbass kids do that to me and the matrix!

shanraghan
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Sarc:
wtf. is the animatrix?!
lol!

That's a new take on that same old question...
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Super hi-res version here:

http://progressive1.stream.aol.com/w...al_1000_dl.zip

It's a biggie though - 95MB

Thanks for the link. I now give you my newest desktop picture... matrix-files.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
Thanks for the link. I now give you my newest desktop picture... matrix-files.

I swear this is a Harry Potter reference.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 07:30 AM

is it just me, or did you guys & girls notice some of scenes were very CG'ish? The first time i saw this trailer was on TV and my reaction was, one, can't wait till it's out in the theatres, second, when that agent dude lept on and off the car it looked really aweful... it was so obivious it was CG and very poorly done CG. the next little part was when Neo was fighting all those agent smith. that too looked kinda funny. and lastly when they were on the ducati zooming past the cars, those cars looked really fake too especially the truck. and this observation is coming from a person who normally doesn't notice any flaws in a movie. but eck, what the hell... i'm still gonna this movie at least twice in the theatres.

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 07:42 AM

ABOUT CG -

It looked good but obviously some scenes are so unbelievable that they may possibly look "CG" no matter what they do.

ENJOY THE MOVIE.

consider it a lesson in life in appreciating the things you do have and not ruining the overall experience by dwelling on some positive negatives. like being a mac user....
snappy�

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 10:25 AM

Wow. Me gots to see this.

PS - Anyone see "Last flight of the osiris" playing with dreamcatcher?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 10:35 AM

the animatrix...
www.theanimarix.com

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I want that too.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by lunaticbunny:
is it just me, or did you guys & girls notice some of scenes were very CG'ish? The first time i saw this trailer was on TV and my reaction was, one, can't wait till it's out in the theatres, second, when that agent dude lept on and off the car it looked really aweful... it was so obivious it was CG and very poorly done CG. the next little part was when Neo was fighting all those agent smith. that too looked kinda funny. and lastly when they were on the ducati zooming past the cars, those cars looked really fake too especially the truck. and this observation is coming from a person who normally doesn't notice any flaws in a movie. but eck, what the hell... i'm still gonna this movie at least twice in the theatres.
You're definitely confused with both realisitic and CGI. The agent who leapt on and off the car is actually a real stunt actor in a studio with green background. There is no CGI involved in that shooting. It's masked with several layers.

What Mark said is exactly right. It will look unbelievable even though it's "real"

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 03:47 PM

one month...too long...need now...

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

tikki
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 03:55 PM

Holy crap. I went to check my mail and I come back and the trailers audio is playing in the background. Mind you, I had already closed the Safari window and had no other Safari windows open.

It is a sign. I must be "The One"

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 04:49 PM

most CG are done so that actors can do tricks safely on things that can actually be done in reality (although much more dangerously) but with the matrix, it's basicaly impossible stuff, leaping off buildings without even twisting a muscle, leaping off cars like they were trampoline, etc, the matrix is designed to awe us with great CG and to give the characters a super-human like abilities, these things are something we never see in a real life, so it's bound to look very unreal when you see it on a movie, no matter how good they do the CG
but hey, that's what's fun about the matrix, the reality defying actions...
Ryan

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 07:04 PM

Yes, its not bad CG its just so unbeliveable! The Physics in the Matrix can do what ever the **** they want, so movement wont always look natural.

-Owl

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 07:10 PM

My B/W G3 350 with 768 megs of RAM can't handle that high-res trailer. Chops all over the place

Can't wait till I get my PowerBook!

shanraghan
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 09:36 PM

I dunno... the agent car-jumping didn't look especially CG-ish, however the scene where he's fighting a hundred Agent Smiths seems to me to be noticeable CG at times. It isn't terrible, just noticeable how his clothes seem a little too smooth and such. Not to mention, they had to do some kinds of CG/film tricks to make a hundred agent Smiths.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by RGB:
My B/W G3 350 with 768 megs of RAM can't handle that high-res trailer. Chops all over the place

go to the matrix website and watch the 640*480 version..it was choopy on mine too...my machine couldn't handle it..
Ryan

lunaticbunny
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 01:31 AM

CG or not, just imagine watching the agent leaping onto the car on a theatre screen... it's gonna be pretty obivious that it was poorly done. i only wish they spent some more time finishing the scene cuz everything else looks pretty fantastic. watching those twins fight is going to be pretty cool.

Jan Van Boghout
Apr 12, 2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by tikki:
Holy crap. I went to check my mail and I come back and the trailers audio is playing in the background. Mind you, I had already closed the Safari window and had no other Safari windows open.

It is a sign. I must be "The One"
Creepy. The same thing just happened to me, only Safari stopped responding at all. Just played the audio? Hmm

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2003, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by lunaticbunny:
CG or not, just imagine watching the agent leaping onto the car on a theatre screen... it's gonna be pretty obivious that it was poorly done. i only wish they spent some more time finishing the scene cuz everything else looks pretty fantastic. watching those twins fight is going to be pretty cool.
Whats poor about it?!

-Owl

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 11:34 AM

i got like 25 screen shots of the REALLY high res trailer in full 1400x900 sitting on my desktop in a SIT file... if anyone wants to host the 15 meg Stuffit file let me know, or shoot me a PM they make GREAT rotating wallpaper

heres 2 that i resized and compressed so i could post...all arn't this great of quality but these ROCK

( Last edited by SOLIDAge; Apr 12, 2003 at 11:41 AM. )

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 12:13 PM

Considering that the Matrix is technically a computer generated world, they can just make a comment about the Matix needing to upgrade its graphics card . Yeah, the one from the last movie got fried when Neo forced a reboot, and now they're on backup.

BlackGriffen

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
i got like 25 screen shots of the REALLY high res trailer in full 1400x900 sitting on my desktop in a SIT file... if anyone wants to host the 15 meg Stuffit file let me know, or shoot me a PM they make GREAT rotating wallpaper

heres 2 that i resized and compressed so i could post...all arn't this great of quality but these ROCK
Go ahead and share it..
any 1280 x 1024?

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Go ahead and share it..
any 1280 x 1024?
need someone to host, my .mac is almost full no room for it

all are widescreen..could crop etc to make a bloody thing wouldn't be hard

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Jan Van Boghout:
Creepy. The same thing just happened to me, only Safari stopped responding at all. Just played the audio? Hmm
I think this is a bug in the (leaked) v71 of Safari. Any embeded QT movie will continue to loop, even after the page is closed, and continues until it's quit. If you open another page with a movie and play that it will 'bump' the looping one out, but if you pause the 'new' movie you will again hear the old one playing.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
Considering that the Matrix is technically a computer generated world, they can just make a comment about the Matix needing to upgrade its graphics card . Yeah, the one from the last movie got fried when Neo forced a reboot, and now they're on backup.
Exactly

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 11:05 PM

This looks totally kick-ass. I really do hope it's as good (if not better) than the first one. I too will probably wait at least 1-2 weeks after it comes out to see it. This is going to receive a huge audience the likes of which people haven't seen since Star Wars "A New Hope" was out in 1977. I don't think going on opening day would be a great idea, unless your a die-hard fan, in which case that's your thing.

I really am glad they managed to get all the original cast-members back also. Nothing sucks more when they try to pass off another actor as the same character. That, in and of itself usually ruins a sequel for me, no matter how good the original was.

Glad the guy that played Agent Smith is back also. He's definitely up there on my "favorite movie villains" list.

As far as the CGI [possibly looking "fake" I really don't notice it at all. If it does seem fake though, just try to think of it in these terms; it actually fits into the computer generated reality that we see in the movie. Even if it appears a little fake it still fits into the plot. Get it?

MikeM
( Last edited by MikeM33; Apr 12, 2003 at 11:13 PM. )

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by MikeM33:
This is going to receive a huge audience the likes of which people haven't seen since Star Wars "A New Hope" was out in 1977. I don't think going on opening day would be a great idea, unless your a die-hard fan, in which case that's your thing.

The original Star Wars had a huge audience? I can imagine that once word-of-mouth advertising got around about how cool it was that more people started showing up, but if it did really well opening night then that's just darn cool.

/80s child

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2003, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by MikeM33:

I really am glad they managed to get all the original cast-members back also.
The Oracle is dead (The actress) she died during production.

The actor who portrayed tank is either replaced, or he is not in the movie due to contract disputes.

-Owl

parsec
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by RGB:

Yeah, well, my 1 GHz powerbook with 1 gig of ram can't even handle it

Pretty disappointing.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 01:56 AM

Originally posted by parsec:

Pretty disappointing.
OMG! Even the 1Ghz Book suffered from the clip? QuickTime is optimized for G4. Oh dear... luckily, my dual FW800 works flawlessly.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2003, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by parsec:

Pretty disappointing.
That's just BS. It ran flawlessly on my TiG4 400mhz with 512mb of RAM with latest version of QuickTime and MacOS X

Maybe your computer are doing something else during the trailer playing?

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
That's just BS. It ran flawlessly on my TiG4 400mhz with 512mb of RAM with latest version of QuickTime and MacOS X
It was crap on my TiG4 400mhz with 384mb of RAM and the latest QuickTime and 10.2.5.

Demonhood
Administrator
Apr 13, 2003, 04:43 AM

we talking about the 100MB version of the trailer?
runs great on my DP500 with 1GB of RAM.
runs like crap on my 733 with 256MB of RAM.

and it's gotten me psyched about the movie again. i show the trailer to everyone i can. you know, friends, relatives, strangers with candy, the like.

vasu
Senior User
Apr 13, 2003, 08:14 PM

the huge 100mb trailer plays fine on my DP867 with 1.25gb of ram except for a couple spots where it drops down to 14fps and then comes back up to 24.

It totally kills my Powerbook G4/550 with 512mb ram.

-vasu

agentz
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 03:52 PM

The big trailer is pretty damn cool - its been played sooo many times at work today! Mind you we couldn't get it to run smoothly on any of the Apple machines kicking round the office - sounds like a perfect excuse to order some new kit if you ask me!

And how random is it that The Twins used to be on a really crappy UK 'gameshow' called Carol Vorderman's Better Homes - they were the handymen who used to help with room renovations!

Info on that here
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by shanraghan:
I dunno... the agent car-jumping didn't look especially CG-ish, however the scene where he's fighting a hundred Agent Smiths seems to me to be noticeable CG at times. It isn't terrible, just noticeable how his clothes seem a little too smooth and such. Not to mention, they had to do some kinds of CG/film tricks to make a hundred agent Smiths.
That whole scene is CG...everything was animated

parsec
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Maybe your computer are doing something else during the trailer playing?
I find that really hard to believe.
My computer wasn't doing anything strenuous in the background, no.

However, I just noticed I had the processor on reduced performance (no idea why, I don't remember doing that..), once I cranked it back up to the gigahz it runs perfectly.
10.2.5, latest quicktime.
So, I'm an idiot for posting that the gigabook can't handle it. But, I'm honestly amazed that you say a 400mhz pb could handle it, when my machine couldn't even handle it on the reduced performance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules