Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rubbish FPS playing Multiplayer Spearhead

Rubbish FPS playing Multiplayer Spearhead
ifast
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 06:57 PM

Can't believe this. Bought a G5 1.8 dual processor and upgraded my graphics card to a Radeon 9800 Pro and STILL get the same FPS as I did with the 64mb card !! Reduced all video settings and still get 30 to 40 FPS. Someone who has a PC regularly gets 70-90 FPS.

Having spent so much on this machine I thought I would get some of the highest FPS going !!

As a footnote when playing Medal of Honor i DO get high FPS.

Any ideas how I can get high FPS ??

PS: Any good military styles games out there where good FPS is available. Similar to Spearhead where you don't have to spend a couple of hours planning a strategy !!
( Last edited by ifast; Apr 4, 2004 at 01:10 PM. )

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2004, 09:20 PM

Not that I know of. I get only 5 or 10 more FPS on my Dual 2ghz G5 Radeon9800Pro than my 1ghz TiBook, its just a really crappy port that wasn't optimized at all it seems. Enabling r_smp (MultiProccesor use) seems to make the lag even worse... But yea, the original MOH was nicely done.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Vash:
its just a really crappy port that wasn't optimized at all it seems.
The mac version is well optimized, but the PC version had the exact same performance problems on the same maps. Sometimes you can only do so much with what you have to work with

The good news is the maps on MOH: Breakthrough don't have any of the overdesigned super-slow levels like Spearhead, so it's performance is better (Mac or PC).

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media

Forum Links
Forum Rules