Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sharing User Directory Between OS X Server/Client?

Sharing User Directory Between OS X Server/Client?
udecker
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2005, 02:03 AM

I was wondering if anyone here has tried to use the same user directory for both OS X Server and Client on the same machine?

I have a dual-boot configuration where I do development and testing on OS X server, but would like to access all of my preferences and settings from my main account on 10.3.7 Client, which is on it's own separate partition.

Anyone have any experience with this? A quick search on this and a couple of other boards turned up nothing.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2005, 05:12 AM

I used to do this in Jag, and i can't see any issues with doing it in Panther. Simply edit your user's HomeDirectory attribute in one or other OS, possibly easier in Server since you can use WGM. You'll need to have the same account details ( UID, password) in both, of course.
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Rickster
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 03:41 AM

Or delete your home directory from one drive and put a symlink (to /Volumes/OtherDrive/Users/username) in its place.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

udecker  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2005, 07:54 AM

Thanks guys - I knew of ways to get it to happen, I was just curious if there were any dangers, like incompatible plists for anything. Nonetheless, I've done it - my user directory is mapped to both the Client and Server partitions, and all seems to be working.

Thanks!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2005, 02:41 AM

Is there any particular reason why you'd want to use Server for development over Client, udecker? Or is it just something you personally prefer?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2005, 08:47 PM

Even with the link, you still need to make sure that you have the same UIDs in both OSes.

You can use:

nicl -raw /Volumes/OSXClient/var/db/netinfo/local.nidb

to look at the netinfo database (whether it's being used or not) to see what the UIDs are on the client machine.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules