Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Best way to copy an audio cd master?

Best way to copy an audio cd master?
Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2007, 12:56 PM

I've got an audio cd master for a demo cd that I want to copy. It's an actual master copy.
Now, if I want to duplicate the master for distribution (using my Mac), what would be the best method? Obviously, I want the copies to be as close to the master as possible, and fully compatible.
CD Text is a bonus, but definately not essential.

I have access to both Toast Titanium, and Disco. Would both of these do what I want, or are there some compromises in the process of a direct audio cd copy?
And also, with whichever program, what is the best way to do it (how to do it, settings, etc.)

Thanks!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2007, 02:11 PM

The problem with copying from an AUDIO CD is that you always have read errors. (These are assumed, and are the reason why all CD players have error correction built in. This is also why audio CDs are not verified after burning - it's just assumed that the playback device is error-tolerant.) These read errors are interpolated by error correction, but that is an averaged value, and not what's actually written on the disc.

Data CDs are verified and have error-correction algorithms built into the DATA of the disc ITSELF. (Which is why important audio files should always be burned as DATA DISCS rather than audio CDs.)

Assuming there is no way to get a data version of the mastered disc from the mastering studio - as a disc image or so - the best method for duplication would be to create a disk image using Toast or Disk Utility, store that on your computer, and burn all discs from that.

That way, you only use your master once, and can keep it in a safe place, and, while you still have read errors, at least every disc will sound the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules