Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using OS X VPC 5 vs WIN VPC

Using OS X VPC 5 vs WIN VPC
Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 11:53 PM

Could anyone give me some advice about a testing machine I want to set up for web development?

I want a stand-alone machine to test web sites on my internal network. I like to test IE/NS/Opera on versions 3/4/5/6 and it's obvious you can't do this on a stock PC - Internet Explorer only likes the one install!

Previously VPC 3/4 worked ok. But still pretty slow, and if I'm testing for rendering speeds/flash movies then it's pretty rotten.

But I've seen on the Connectix site that VPC for Windows basically lets you do the same thing - multiple images of your OS, so I could set up one for browser 3, one for browser 4, etc.

What's the cost v performance implications? An extra standalone mac would be great if I get freelancers in, but a standalone PC would be more realistic. But I'd have to buy a whole system and all the bits to go with it to make sure it would work on my mac network.

Any thoughts?
Computer thez nohhh...

Simon Mundy  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2001, 08:54 PM

Ain't noone used it?
Computer thez nohhh...

udecker
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2001, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:
<STRONG>Ain't noone used it?</STRONG>
No, but I read that performance is "not so hot." What that means, I have no idea. Someone had mentioned something else about it still doing some emulation.

There are other utilities out there that do virtual machines... do a search on google. People usually use them to run linux alongside multiple windows environments, and they usually like the performance.

-uD

Forum Links
Forum Rules