Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I think we need this

I think we need this
t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 03:06 AM

Whoeevr started this, I think we need it:

"The purpose of this petition is to convince Apple Computer of the great importance of having Windows compatible AVI handling in QuickTime. With the recent release of several third party QuickTime plugins, there is now support for some of the more popular codecs used to encode internet video with Windows. Being fully compatible with the Windows implementation of the AVI format would make QuickTime THE best internet media player.

Sincerely, "

Sign here

t

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 03:23 AM

agreed. signed.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 03:32 AM

I personally know the head of the QT team, and they do support AVI, but are missing some codecs, give me a link the file u can't seem to view, and i'll send it to him (he asked me to do this a little while back with an avi file i had) so they can add the missing codec. [email protected]

udecker
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2001, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
<STRONG>I personally know the head of the QT team, and they do support AVI, but are missing some codecs, give me a link the file u can't seem to view, and i'll send it to him (he asked me to do this a little while back with an avi file i had) so they can add the missing codec. [email protected]</STRONG>
Heh - how about I send you a realmedia file so they can add THAT codec?

-uD

Cipher13
Dec 14, 2001, 07:39 AM

The problem is "AVI" isn't a format, but a wrapper, in which the media can be encoded in any of numerous codecs. It's difficult to support.

We just need *all* the codecs

Henriok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2001, 09:42 AM

Really.. AVI _is_ supported i QuickTime and has been for a really long time. What's missing is a bunch of codecs.. and that's really not Apple's problem but rather Microsoft's. This petition should be targeted on Microsoft not Apple.
- Henrik

Forum Links
Forum Rules