Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PowerBook display is actually an iBook display?!?!

12" PowerBook display is actually an iBook display?!?!
Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 12:59 PM

I just read over at MacOSRumors.com that the 12" Powerbook doesn't use a Powerbook-quality display. According to the reader that wrote in, the 12" Powerbook's display is nothing more than an iBook display in an aluminum case.

Is this true? If it is, I'm greatly discouraged. I've seen lots of 12" iBooks in caf�s in my city and all of their displays look dim and they have a distinct yellowish tint or hue.

Kermy
Apr 23, 2004, 01:05 PM

I believe it is true. After comparing my PB 12"'s display with my iBook G4 12" display, they look pretty similiar.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 01:14 PM

That was one of the reasons I didn't go with the smaller powerbook. The screen is way too dim in my opinion.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 01:47 PM

From a business point of view it makes sense for Apple to have the same display in PB's and Ibooks. I mean, they even use the same keyboard on all the Powerboooks, something which is unheard of.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 02:07 PM

Haven't most people said that the iBook G4 have a better screen then the 12"PB anyhow. I would see this as a good thing, no?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 02:11 PM

Yeah it is a good thing. The older 12" PB's had worse screen than iBook G4...

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 02:45 PM

The original article quoted about the 12" PB screen is from 2003, ie the first generation firebook. All indications so far are that the present rev C screen is the same, though I'd love to hear that Apple has improved the LCD--but I don't think so. They might have improved the color profile, maybe-so-maybe-no, but it's still not as good a quality LCD as the AlPB 15".

I think Eugenia'a characterization of the 12" ALPB as a "metal iBook" still stands up.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 23, 2004, 02:58 PM

so the powerbook screen is dark and yellowish? i have a small problem with the brightness, and i color corrected the yellowish in the display.

are those the main problems?
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 03:54 PM

You people didn't know this?

The screen's been the same FORM factor since day 1. that form factor hasn't changed since the 500mhz snowbook.

The LCD models do change over time and this is what you've probably noticed. Chances are good that the ibook g4 uses a (for example) newer samsung 12" while the ibook 500 used an LG samsung 12"

They both use what's available though, and this is mostly picked at random, but the screens for ibooks and powerbooks come out of the same bin. They all have the same mounting bracket but I'm sure you'll take note of this
Aloha

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2004, 04:01 PM

So it is a game of chance which company's screen you will get in your 12 inch.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2004, 04:51 PM

going even further, there are 3 different types of 12" displays used in powerbooks/ibooks.

1. Samsung, the best looking and brightest.

2. Philips, close to Samsung quality though not as bright.

3. LG, dim and not as "clean". The worst.

Problem is, the only way you can really tell is to remove the LCD cover.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules