Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New 12" latch compared to Rev. B

View Poll Results: PowerBook Latch Behavior
Poll Options:
Latches immediatly with no pressure 4 votes (30.77%)
Requires slight pressure or speed in closing 9 votes (69.23%)
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll
New 12" latch compared to Rev. B
oturn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 11:52 AM

The latch works differently between my old Rev. B and new Rev. C PowerBook...

The Rev. B latched perfectly when the screen and base touched. No effort, pressure, or speed in closing was required. However, once latched, the screen did have a slight bit of looseness, but not anything that seemed unusual.

The Rev. C doesn't latch when the screen and base touch. It clicks and tries, but a very slight downward pressure is required before it will actually latch. Alternatively, it will latch if the screen is closed slightly fast. Once latched, the screen is very firm, with no looseness.

In both cases the screen always stays closed. Also, opening works equally well with both.

If I could choose, I'd take the Rev. B latch experience. The latch on the Rev. C was a bit disconcerting when I first noticed it, but I suppose it's no big deal, right? Is there a "normal" behavior for the latch on these things?

Which of the above two descriptions match your experience with the latch on any size Rev. B or C PowerBook?

fruntbut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 02:12 PM

my revc is like that too. actually i much prefer it over the the easy-close latch of my revb. it holds the screen close to the body with no gap (there was a 1/2 millimeter gap on one side of my revb) and makes it feel more solid when i pick it up.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 02:39 PM

i have a rev b, and it works just like you said the rev b works.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 03:12 PM

option B... just got mine last night.

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 28, 2004, 03:29 PM

looks like the new powerbooks have some flaws

oturn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 04:23 PM

Or maybe there isn't a problem because they've just refined the mechanism, and option B (or 2, or the Rev. C behavior?) is preferred? After only a few responses I'm leaning in that direction, but it's too early to say.

Also forgot to mention...other than the latch difference, the system is perfect! To my eyes, the screen looks better as well.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 04:52 PM

yes, The screen is VERY nice

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2004, 08:26 PM

I'm the opposite. My rev B latch was bad, but the rev C is alright.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 15, 2004, 11:19 PM

The only problem I have with the latch on my new Revision C is that the latch doesn't seem to pop out every time I close the lid. This is especially true when the lid has been open for a while. When I go to close it, the latch stays recessed, making it impossible to secure the lid. Its almost like its stiff or something. Once its worked once, then it keeps working till the lid has again remained open for a while.

I'll keep experimenting to see if speed makes it more effective.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 12:22 AM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
The only problem I have with the latch on my new Revision C is that the latch doesn't seem to pop out every time I close the lid. This is especially true when the lid has been open for a while. When I go to close it, the latch stays recessed, making it impossible to secure the lid. Its almost like its stiff or something. Once its worked once, then it keeps working till the lid has again remained open for a while.

I'll keep experimenting to see if speed makes it more effective.
check to see if its bent.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 01:13 AM

Not sure what you mean by "bent", but I did take a close look at it. If you're looking directly at the slot that the latch resides in, it does appear to sit more towards the bottom of the slot rather than square in the middle.

Think it could be getting caught on that bottom edge of the slot? If so, what would you recommend? Inserting something small enough to slightly bend it back up so that its in the middle of the slot?

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 16, 2004, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by NeXTLoop:
Not sure what you mean by "bent", but I did take a close look at it. If you're looking directly at the slot that the latch resides in, it does appear to sit more towards the bottom of the slot rather than square in the middle.

Think it could be getting caught on that bottom edge of the slot? If so, what would you recommend? Inserting something small enough to slightly bend it back up so that its in the middle of the slot?
i would make it pop out by closing it, taking a piece of paper, preferably cardboard or cardstock, slide it to the left from the right side till you hit the latch. then open it and when you have enough of a gap, put your finger in the way to make sure it wont pop back in to its open screen position. when you have it out, simply bend it till you think its straight. then check it to see if it is. just make sure not to bend it too much, or it may break. this may take a few tries.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by rag on a muffin:
i would make it pop out by closing it, taking a piece of paper, preferably cardboard or cardstock, slide it to the left from the right side till you hit the latch. then open it and when you have enough of a gap, put your finger in the way to make sure it wont pop back in to its open screen position. when you have it out, simply bend it till you think its straight. then check it to see if it is. just make sure not to bend it too much, or it may break. this may take a few tries.

Well, my latch completely stopped working. So I'm sending it back to Apple tomorrow so they can fix it. I thought about just asking for a new unit. But since my display is perfect, with no dead or discolored pixels, I decided I just want them to fix it.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 02:03 PM

I just recieved my PB back from Apple Care because the display was separating from the bezel(which still looks the same!)....I dont know what they did to my perfect latch but it takes me 4 tries to even close the lid now! Should I take it to an Apple retail store or try to bend the latch back into place? I really hate not having my PB because of thier stupid mistakes....

Apple Care is so half @ss!
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Forum Links
Forum Rules