Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iSync 1.5 Out!

iSync 1.5 Out!
rmongold
Aug 10, 2004, 02:25 PM

Looks like iSync 1.5 is out and - lo and behold - support for the Motorola v600! What a wonderful day!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2004, 02:29 PM

Epicurus
Aug 10, 2004, 02:45 PM

Looks like v600 support is only via USB cable and not bluetooth...hrmph.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Epicurus:
You can blame Motorola for that one.

Has anyone tried syncing a P800/P900 after the update? Any improvement in reliability?

geekwagon
Senior User
Aug 10, 2004, 02:55 PM

Still no proxy support for .mac syncing...

plamparello
Aug 10, 2004, 03:01 PM

Has anyone tried it with bluetooth yet?

plamparello

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 03:06 PM

Still doesn't sync my N-Gage QD

Argghhhhh.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 03:22 PM

Still no support for Nokia 7610... argh...

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 03:49 PM

no current Sprint phones supported, either.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

BKMaggert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 04:02 PM

Pretty lackluster, especially for Verizon Wireless customers (aren't they the largest?). Still don't support LG or Samsung phones, which are the bulk of what Verizon sells on their website.

Also, with all the promotion by Apple for Bluetooth and iSync and iSync 1.5 doesn't support Bluetooth on Motorola phones, USB only (see note 5 on the bottom of this page). So no luck for v600 and v710 owners. That's just plain silly. I thought Apple was working closely with Motorola on cell phones?
Barry
www.LP.org

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 04:06 PM

No bluetooth for the v600 just flat out sucks.

Disappointing.

rmongold  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 04:26 PM

Does anyone know the technical reasons for Apple not supporting Bluetooth on Motorola phones? I've heard that the Mot phones don't have a certain object needed to push the data, but am not sure if I'm exactly right about that. What's more, if it is just the cell phone's firmware is lacking, will Mot ever update it?

rmongold  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by BKMaggert:
Pretty lackluster, especially for Verizon Wireless customers (aren't they the largest?). Still don't support LG or Samsung phones, which are the bulk of what Verizon sells on their website.

Also, with all the promotion by Apple for Bluetooth and iSync and iSync 1.5 doesn't support Bluetooth on Motorola phones, USB only (see note 5 on the bottom of this page). So no luck for v600 and v710 owners. That's just plain silly. I thought Apple was working closely with Motorola on cell phones?
We also thought they were working closely on the PPC 8500 ('member that?). But we see where that go us.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by andretan:

wow, someone actually bought one of those???

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
LOL, *that's* who bought it...

teknik
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 05:42 PM

It's Motorola's fault for implementing sub-par Bluetooth standards into their phones. It sucks, but I'm glad I traded by V600 for an SE K700i

bborofka
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2004, 07:11 PM

I'm so glad I can use my V400 with iSync now... it's been long overdue. Too bad it can't sync Address Book pictures. And there's still no OS-level support for the phone, to manage the phone's 5MB memory. I wish I could mount the phone like a Nokia, swap files from it.

Now if only iSync would have an option to sync the "Nickname" field in my Address Book instead of First and Last name (if one is provided). I wish my father would show up as "Dad" when I get a call from him (his nickname in Address Book) instead of his first and last name.

And now if only Apple would update iCal to give it Exchange support, so I can synchronize my calendars and tasks with Exchange via iSync. They've already added the support in Address Book, iCal is the next logical step.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 07:13 PM

Still no decent Nokia support for 7x series phones.

I must say after using many different brands of phones over the years i finally ended up using Nokia, which i felt to have the most intuitive OS and the one that felt more mac like. The moto & erricson phones to me were by far the least intuitive which game me the Windowz feel. I only use Nokia's now, they have the largest market share by a long way an always have yet these are the least supported WHY?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2004, 08:05 PM

damn. still doesn't sync my vinyl collection to my iPod. damnit, Apple suck!
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

neoTony
Aug 10, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by andretan:

Argghhhhh.

Have you tried enabling "Support non-conforming phones" in the Bluetooth preference pane? It works fine on my original n-OhMyGodIt'sSoBloodyHuge-Gage.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
damn. still doesn't sync my vinyl collection to my iPod. damnit, Apple suck!
vinyl sounds way better anyway, u'd loose all the bottom end if u listened to em on the iPod !!

no crossfader to rinse on the iPod either

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Targon:
vinyl sounds way better anyway, u'd loose all the bottom end if u listened to em on the iPod !!

no crossfader to rinse on the iPod either
That's why I've installed a turntable in my Pathfinder, and haul 300 lbs. of albums to my car each morning.

Somehow, iSync managed to duplicate all my bookmark folders between when I'd updated to 1.5 on my work tower & when I updated on my Pbook. Not sure if it's a bug when you're trying to sync two machines w/different versions of iSync.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

plamparello
Aug 10, 2004, 10:46 PM

Is the iPod logo for anyone who has the 4G model new on iSync or is it the 3G model for everyone?
plamparello

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:55 AM

SE Z1010 now supported

Problem is - it doesn't sync address book pictures, or even addresses to the phone. Only sends phone numbers, emails and website which is a shame.

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by BKMaggert:
I would be happy with BitPim functionality with a USB cable in iSync at this point (although to be fair, BitPim has come an incredibly long way over the past year, now it picks up wallpapers and ringers properly with my LG VX6000, but it's still not the same).

My next phone, I will make sure is supported by iSync. That's geeky, but the convenience factor would be high for the adress book and backing up and what not.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

firewired
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 01:23 AM

I am surprised by the lack of BT support for the Mot V600 also. Oh, well looks like more Onsync.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 05:01 AM

You can blame Moto for the lack of BT sync - Motorola does not have the IrMC Synchronization service on bluetooth. (Even though they were founder members of the IrDA!)

I don't understand why people buy Moto phones... They've always been bad (for anything other than a very basic phone.)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 11, 2004, 08:19 AM

The Sony Ericsson K700 is now officially supported for iCal (including all day events) and Address Book (contact title, email, phone numbers). However, street addresses in Address Book don't sync.

BTW, 10.3.5 even supports the K700 as a remote control.

( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Aug 11, 2004 at 08:25 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by fiesta cat:
My next phone, I will make sure is supported by iSync. That's geeky, but the convenience factor would be high for the adress book and backing up and what not.
That's not "geeky"; that's the whole point of *having* Address Book and iCal.

-s*

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Weezer:
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That's not "geeky"; that's the whole point of *having* Address Book and iCal.

-s*
True. I actually bought my phone because it had good PIM functions and a camera (although I find I use the camera very seldom, and even then it was taking pics of friends/family members and using those for the address book so their pic pops up when they call). The PIM functions became useless after a while, because I didn't want to spend money on their syncing software, and BitPim is not an app I want to use for that.

Definitely BT next time. No doubt about that.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2004, 09:54 AM

I bought a Sony Ericsson T-637 simply because it has bluetooth. I haven't had to enter a single name or number in to this phone. I can do the actual text entry on my keyboard, and look, there it is on the phone, an hour later. No need to panic about losing all my numbers if I misplace this dinky phone, either. This is simply majick.

The "Dial with CV's phone" feature is pretty cool, too. Rather than having to scroll through 350 entries on the phone, I do a search for "doug" and click through a context menu. Presto, phone is dialing. Also Majick.

Somewhat geeky, but amazingly useful.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 12:11 PM

Agreed. I can never buy a non-iSync phone again.

rmongold  (op)
Aug 11, 2004, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
The Sony Ericsson K700 is now officially supported for iCal (including all day events) and Address Book (contact title, email, phone numbers). However, street addresses in Address Book don't sync.

BTW, 10.3.5 even supports the K700 as a remote control.

Image Was Here
Eug - How do you like your K700? I am returning my v600 and getting one myself. All of the reviews I've seen have been fairly positive. The battery life seems to be the only sticking point, but as long as the phone can last a day or day-and-a-half between charges, I'm not sure that it matters; I'll never be away from a plug that long.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 07:48 PM

Can someone explain to me why iSync STILL does not quit itself after it is done syncing?

If something start up to do some automatically, when it is done, it should QUIT!

Ok.. off to send more feedback.

BZ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by BZ:
Can someone explain to me why iSync STILL does not quit itself after it is done syncing?

If something start up to do some automatically, when it is done, it should QUIT!

Ok.. off to send more feedback.

BZ
iSync only opens up when there's a problem or if you open it manually. I figure if there's a problem or if you explicitly launched the program instead of using the menu bar icon, you're gonna want to deal with it and not have the program disappear on you.

-s*

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by rmongold:
Eug - How do you like your K700? I am returning my v600 and getting one myself. All of the reviews I've seen have been fairly positive. The battery life seems to be the only sticking point, but as long as the phone can last a day or day-and-a-half between charges, I'm not sure that it matters; I'll never be away from a plug that long.
Best phone I've ever used. Very cool and very nice screen for the size. I've also got the phone to over 60 hours with light usage. It probably could have lasted another 1/4 to 1/2 day. The T610 could last longer, but it's good enough more me.

I posted more here.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Rather than having to scroll through 350 entries on the phone, I do a search for "doug" and click through a context menu. Presto, phone is dialing. Also Majick.
Don't even have to type that out on a Nokia, just hit the 'D' key for doug, the fone jumps to the first entry starting with D for which u may scroll to find your entry. This is much faster than typing in a search.

OR i just say, 'Call Doug' and it dials.

Or assign frequently dialed numbers as 'speed dialing' to various keys.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
iSync only opens up when there's a problem or if you open it manually. I figure if there's a problem or if you explicitly launched the program instead of using the menu bar icon, you're gonna want to deal with it and not have the program disappear on you.

-s*
Actually, iSync opens when you sync your palm (via the Hotsync button). First Hotsync opens then the iSync opens. When Hotsync is done, it closes, but iSync remains open, problems or not.

BZ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2004, 05:55 AM

Oh, sorry.

I didn't know that, as I don't have a Palm. No, *that* doesn't sound like expected behavior.

Feedback it is, I suppose.

"Quick, to the Bat-Fax!"

-s*

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 07:20 AM

v600 sync is so so bad.
It doesn't let you put in email addresses even if your are able to.
oh and sooo ticked that it doesn't work with bluetooth.
ARRG I am very tempted to go out an pay for onSync.

It is a great phone.
I love moto phones.
Nokia phones are terrible
SE are alright, I traded my z600 in for this one (Free and that is my secret).

BUT why doesn't it work with bluetooth.

rmongold  (op)
Aug 12, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by GlobalNomad:
v600 sync is so so bad.
It doesn't let you put in email addresses even if your are able to.
oh and sooo ticked that it doesn't work with bluetooth.
ARRG I am very tempted to go out an pay for onSync.

It is a great phone.
I love moto phones.
Nokia phones are terrible
SE are alright, I traded my z600 in for this one (Free and that is my secret).

BUT why doesn't it work with bluetooth.
According to Diggory Laycock above:

You can blame Moto for the lack of BT sync - Motorola does not have the IrMC Synchronization service on bluetooth. (Even though they were founder members of the IrDA!)

This is why I'm returning my V600 (I just ordered the SE K700 - looks like a great phone!).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2004, 09:55 AM

I'd pay ($5-10?) for a 3rd party app that will sync street addresses with the K700i. Too bad it seems that none exist.

rmongold  (op)
Aug 12, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I'd pay ($5-10?) for a 3rd party app that will sync street addresses with the K700i. Too bad it seems that none exist.
Hmmm. Might have to play around with that one when my phone (and new PowerBook) comes in. The K700 should be here on Monday. Lord only knows when the PowerBook will show up - they're saying it should ship between tomorrow or Tuesday (but they said the same thing about last Friday and Tuesday).

By the by - thanks for the link to the more info on the K700. I can't wait to start playing with that puppy when it shows up.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 01:17 PM

I've got a Nokia 6600 in the mail, will report how well it works. Will probably replace my T637... I miss Symbian/Series 60 soooo bad.

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 02:10 PM

When i iSYNCed my V600, it reversed my Address book name format
from Lastname, firstname to firstname, lastname

Did anyone else have this problem?
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by jfischetti:
When i iSYNCed my V600, it reversed my Address book name format
from Lastname, firstname to firstname, lastname

Did anyone else have this problem?
Yeah, I had this problem. Just use onSync.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
I've got a Nokia 6600 in the mail, will report how well it works. Will probably replace my T637... I miss Symbian/Series 60 soooo bad.
I've got a 6600 - it's sloooow. It takes about a minute to boot and locks up occassionally on call disconnection (although I'd imagine that you'll get a more recent firmware)

I miss UIQ so much...

the 6600 syncs well though (except the occasional refusal to sync)

Forum Links
Forum Rules