Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Myself playing piano. For those interested.

Myself playing piano. For those interested.
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 06:27 PM

I've just added a new video to my youtube collection. It's one that I've been planning to put up for a while. I just waited until I knew the piece better. It's a video of me playing the track "Death is the Road to Awe" from The Fountain Soundtrack, on solo piano. I arranged it for solo piano myself. Check it out if you're interested.

YouTube - Lennon Aldort, The Fountain: Death is the Road to Awe, Piano

Please don't rate it based on the fact that it's me. Rate it based on it's quality.
( Last edited by macgeek2005; May 11, 2007 at 06:37 PM. )

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 07:04 PM

Nice work! I wish I could play piano.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 07:05 PM

I'm only a minute in but I am enjoying it so far.
(I never watched the videos you posted in the other thread though)
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 07:05 PM

attention whore

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
attention whore
you can ignore any of his threads you choose.

I thought that was some great stuff. How large is the room? Is it possible to have the mic further from the piano?
Maybe the next time I am home I will record some piano/harp video.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
you can ignore any of his threads you choose.

I thought that was some great stuff. How large is the room? Is it possible to have the mic further from the piano?
Maybe the next time I am home I will record some piano/harp video.
Well, it's just the crappy mic that's built in to the video camera. So no, there isn't really a way. I guess I could put the camera father back (it is a large room), and have the video zoomed in.

Thanks!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I've just added a new video to my youtube collection. It's one that I've been planning to put up for a while. I just waited until I knew the piece better. It's a video of me playing the track "Death is the Road to Awe" from The Fountain Soundtrack, on solo piano. I arranged it for solo piano myself. Check it out if you're interested.

YouTube - Lennon Aldort, The Fountain: Death is the Road to Awe, Piano

Please don't rate it based on the fact that it's me. Rate it based on it's quality.
Very nice! (even tho i don't like classical music that much). Could use some work IMO.
( Last edited by C.A.T.S. CEO; May 13, 2007 at 01:06 AM. )
Signature depreciated.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 07:33 PM

Well, it's just the crappy mic that's built in to the video camera. So no, there isn't really a way. I guess I could put the camera father back (it is a large room), and have the video zoomed in.

Thanks!
The one time I tried recording my sister playing harp at home I was using the old apple plaintalk mic and I had to sandwich it between pillows just to get it to sound decent. I don't have a video camera so if I try again it will probably be with my isight. If I knew what I was doing I would use 2 isights and get some stereo sound.

design219
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 08:58 PM

Very nice young man. Keep it up.

By the way, I had that same haircut in the late 70s (it works, that is not a dis).

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Very nice young man. Keep it up.

By the way, I had that same haircut in the late 70s (it works, that is not a dis).
Thanks.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 10:23 PM

I play the piano as well... wish I could record me playing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 10:37 PM

See, macgeek? We're not always horrible.

BTW, nice pianer-workin'.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
See, macgeek? We're not always horrible.

BTW, nice pianer-workin'.
I think you guys aren't being horrible, because this thread is a completely legit thread in which I simply shared a new creation of mine, with complete modesty. The creation also apperently happened to be of fairly good quality. I'm beginning to learn that if I don't talk ****, or make ****, I don't get ****.

Thanks.
( Last edited by macgeek2005; May 11, 2007 at 11:58 PM. )

May 12, 2007, 06:27 AM

I really enjoyed that this morning.

Great job - you've got some talent there. (You should know that by now.)

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2007, 08:39 AM

Very nice. That would sound so much nicer on a grand though. Best of luck with your music career, you could go places.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 09:29 AM

Very good and nice selection. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to ignore abbaZaba and his immature comment.

How long have you been playing the piano?
Michael

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2007, 09:31 AM

That's very nice .

I just started studying the piano again after a long break and have begun playing with Logic. Here are a couple of recordings, just to show off

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 10:32 AM

I've been playing the piano on and off since age 3. I only had official "lessons" for about one year, when I was 11 or 12.

Thanks

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2007, 01:01 PM

I've been playing the piano on and off since age 3. I only had official "lessons" for about one year, when I was 11 or 12.

Thanks
Why haven't you gone for more lessons, or studying? Trust me, it really would improve your playing (I'm definitely not saying your playing's bad - but musicians can always improve themselves )

SafariX
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 01:04 PM

YouTube - My Katana Sword.

Never fails to make me roffle.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 12, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SafariX View Post
YouTube - My Katana Sword.

Never fails to make me roffle.
Such epic music.

HungrySeacow
Forum Regular
May 12, 2007, 03:49 PM

That was just beautiful. I am now copying it into my iTunes collection. If you ever make a higher quality recording, I would gladly donate 5 bucks for a copy
YummySoup! - Recipe management and sharing at its best!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 04:13 PM

That was very good! Even if you don't pursue a career in music, do yourself a favor and never quit playing. You'll always have something that makes you stand out.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Very nice! (even tho i don't like classical music). Could use some work IMO.

No offense Cats, I know you're young, but this is a dumb thing to say. You are how old, and you've decided that you don't like literally thousands of years of music? Do you dislike the theme to Star Wars or any other John Williams movie too?

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
May 13, 2007, 12:03 AM

Cats, listen to this man!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
No offense Cats, I know you're young, but this is a dumb thing to say. You are how old, and you've decided that you don't like literally thousands of years of music? Do you dislike the theme to Star Wars or any other John Williams movie too?
Did I say that classical music is bad? No. I just meant its not my preference.

btw, I did like Imperial March from Star Wars.
Signature depreciated.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 01:16 AM

Did I say that classical music is bad? No. I just meant its not my preference.

btw, I did like Imperial March from Star Wars.
And I'm saying you're too young to be deciding this, as classical music covers thousands of years of music awaiting your discovery, or at least exposure to.

The famous John Williams film scores (Star Wars, Superman, Harry Potter, etc.) are all heavily influenced by the Romantic era of classical music. Can you name some Romantic era composers?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 02:54 AM

And I'm saying you're too young to be deciding this, as classical music covers thousands of years of music awaiting your discovery, or at least exposure to.

The famous John Williams film scores (Star Wars, Superman, Harry Potter, etc.) are all heavily influenced by the Romantic era of classical music. Can you name some Romantic era composers?
No, I can't. But I can say that Queen sounds better to me than Boch. I don't understand what you mean when you say I'm too young to make a decision, it just sounds like you're belittling me.
Signature depreciated.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2007, 06:12 AM

And I'm saying you're too young to be deciding this
How can one be “too young” to decide what music one likes and dislikes? One’s musical tastes change throughout one’s entire life, and the fact that Cats probably won’t be listening to the same stuff when he’s 30 that he listens to now doesn’t mean his tastes when he’s 30 are any more ‘real’ than his current tastes. I didn’t care much for classical music in most of its shapes and forms when I was 14 (or is it 15?), either, though I do now, 9–10 years later.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 08:20 AM

Yeah!

And macgeek, I'm not going to say I liked it. I did. But, I'm not going to say that.

itistoday
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 11:44 AM

I think you guys aren't being horrible, because this thread is a completely legit thread in which I simply shared a new creation of mine, with complete modesty. The creation also apperently happened to be of fairly good quality. I'm beginning to learn that if I don't talk ****, or make ****, I don't get ****.

Thanks.
Well said, something I wish more people would realize as well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
How can one be “too young” to decide what music one likes and dislikes? One’s musical tastes change throughout one’s entire life, and the fact that Cats probably won’t be listening to the same stuff when he’s 30 that he listens to now doesn’t mean his tastes when he’s 30 are any more ‘real’ than his current tastes. I didn’t care much for classical music in most of its shapes and forms when I was 14 (or is it 15?), either, though I do now, 9–10 years later.

Because I interpreted what he said as "I don't like Classical Music", as in "I don't like *any* Classical Music". So, I was asking him whether he has listened enough to justify reaching this decision, if it is final.

I would hope it is only tentative, there is a lot of music to check out.

highstakes
Senior User
May 13, 2007, 12:48 PM

Good work, sounds great!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 01:09 PM

No, I can't. But I can say that Queen sounds better to me than Boch. I don't understand what you mean when you say I'm too young to make a decision, it just sounds like you're belittling me.

You are too young, so am I. It is healthy to keep an open mind about these sorts of things and give new music a chance, especially music that is highly regarded as some of the greatest masterpieces humanity has produced. This isn't to say that there is something wrong with Queen, there isn't.

If I put together a listening list for you, would be interested in checking out some more music?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 01:13 PM

Cats: what do you think of this? Guarantee you'll recognize this:

WikiMedia Player beta - Ludwig_van_Beethoven_-_Symphonie_5_c-moll_-_1._Allegro_con_brio.ogg

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
May 13, 2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks guys. By the way, if I continue to upload more piano playing videos, do you think I should make a new account devoted to that? Or is it okay that under the same account there's movie trailers and stuff?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks guys. By the way, if I continue to upload more piano playing videos, do you think I should make a new account devoted to that? Or is it okay that under the same account there's movie trailers and stuff?
What do you mean by "is it okay"? Why would it not be okay? What are your goals?

Railroader
Banned
May 13, 2007, 08:07 PM

You are too young, so am I. It is healthy to keep an open mind about these sorts of things and give new music a chance, especially music that is highly regarded as some of the greatest masterpieces humanity has produced. This isn't to say that there is something wrong with Queen, there isn't.

If I put together a listening list for you, would be interested in checking out some more music?
Are you saying there isn't a genre of music that you don't like?

If I put together a listening list for you, would you be interested in checking out more music?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 13, 2007, 08:36 PM

Cats: what do you think of this? Guarantee you'll recognize this:

WikiMedia Player beta - Ludwig_van_Beethoven_-_Symphonie_5_c-moll_-_1._Allegro_con_brio.ogg
The problem with that piece is that as it's pretty much the single most famous piece of music in the world, everyone's already heard it so many times that his brain might kind of tune it out. I think someone as young as C.A.T.S. might appreciate something fast and exciting, I dunno, maybe like these:

Prokofiev Sonata No. 7 (third movement)

Prokofiev 3rd Piano Concerto (first movement) (or the great third movement)

Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

Back when I was in high school, I liked this a lot: Ginastera Sonata No. 1 (first movement)

These are all pretty familiar pieces, but perhaps not quite as much as Beethoven's Fifth. Of course, there are better recordings available for these pieces if you're willing to spend some cash or head over to the nearest university music library (Pollini and Argerich for the Prokofiev pieces!) but I'm overall kind of impressed by the amount of free stuff that can be found using Google.
( Last edited by CharlesS; May 13, 2007 at 08:44 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The problem with that piece is that as it's pretty much the single most famous piece of music in the world, everyone's already heard it so many times that his brain might kind of tune it out. I think someone as young as C.A.T.S. might appreciate something fast and exciting, I dunno, maybe like these:

Prokofiev Sonata No. 7 (third movement)

Prokofiev 3rd Piano Concerto (first movement) (or the great third movement)

Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2

Back when I was in high school, I liked this a lot: Ginastera Sonata No. 1 (first movement)

These are all pretty familiar pieces, but perhaps not quite as much as Beethoven's Fifth. Of course, there are better recordings available for these pieces if you're willing to spend some cash or head over to the nearest university music library (Pollini and Argerich for the Prokofiev pieces!) but I'm overall kind of impressed by the amount of free stuff that can be found using Google.
Cool!

I just came back from hearing Mahler 5 in Indianapolis... Awesome stuff.

Mahler is pretty dark and intense, but maybe Cats would like some Mahler too. Those Germans knew how to compose!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 04:04 AM

Mahler is indeed intense, but it's also very long and requires a lot of investment in time and attention span in order to appreciate it. I wouldn't recommend Mahler to a young'un who's just getting introduced to classical music for the first time.

Another thing I thought of - since CATS likes John Williams, he might be interested in some of the original "battle music" type pieces that have had a lot of influence on movie music. Things like the Battle on the Ice from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky and Mars, the Bringer of War from Holst's The Planets. Unfortunately, it's not as easy to get free MP3s of orchestral works as it is with piano works since you can't use the home pages of pianists who want to show off their skills, so I don't have any links. However, I do know that you can hear Mars, the Bringer of War by starting up the EV Nova game from Ambrosia, which uses it as its theme song.

Richard Strauss, I think, is another composer who's had a lot of influence on the movie composers.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Are you saying there isn't a genre of music that you don't like?

If I put together a listening list for you, would you be interested in checking out more music?
I hope you include tons of psytrance.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2007, 09:32 AM

A macgeek thread that turned into a discussion on classical music?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 09:33 AM

Mother's Day softened everyone up.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Mahler is indeed intense, but it's also very long and requires a lot of investment in time and attention span in order to appreciate it. I wouldn't recommend Mahler to a young'un who's just getting introduced to classical music for the first time.

Another thing I thought of - since CATS likes John Williams, he might be interested in some of the original "battle music" type pieces that have had a lot of influence on movie music. Things like the Battle on the Ice from Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky and Mars, the Bringer of War from Holst's The Planets. Unfortunately, it's not as easy to get free MP3s of orchestral works as it is with piano works since you can't use the home pages of pianists who want to show off their skills, so I don't have any links. However, I do know that you can hear Mars, the Bringer of War by starting up the EV Nova game from Ambrosia, which uses it as its theme song.

Richard Strauss, I think, is another composer who's had a lot of influence on the movie composers.

Yeah, one of the first pieces I took a liking to were from Alexander Nevsky. Have you ever seen the movie that goes along with the music?

(Alexander Nevsky was some very early film scoring, for those that haven't heard of it)

Railroader
Banned
May 14, 2007, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I hope you include tons of psytrance.
Think even more obnoxious!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 14, 2007, 11:08 AM

Think even more obnoxious!
Country.

Railroader
Banned
May 14, 2007, 11:29 AM

Closer!

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2007, 02:16 PM

Closer!
That's a great Josh Groban album.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2007, 07:47 PM

Yeah, one of the first pieces I took a liking to were from Alexander Nevsky. Have you ever seen the movie that goes along with the music?
Of course. I certainly wouldn't recommend watching that to someone to get their first impression of it, though. Definitely get a professional recording of the music (I have Abbado, and it's great). André Previn allegedly called Nevsky the greatest film score ever written trapped inside the worst sound track ever recorded, and he's pretty much right (for those who don't know, Nevsky was produced in Stalinist Russia, and at the time they were not allowed to use recording equipment not invented in Russia. Unfortunately, the quality of the Russian-invented equipment was absolutely horrible, even compared to what was being used in the West at the time).

It makes you wonder what an Eisenstein movie with a Prokofiev score would have been like if there had not been the propaganda requirements and other stupid restrictions put in place by Stalin's regime.

Forum Links
Forum Rules