Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Singing the Shutdown Blues

Singing the Shutdown Blues
reader50
Administrator
Jan 21, 2019, 07:48 PM

I figure it will reach Feb 1, but will end before mid-Feb.

Trump is having to order in pizza & whoppers - the White House kitchen people are laid off. And I imagine the janitors are too, so no one's emptying the trash. Or vacuuming. Or doing the laundry.

Speaking of pizza, Canadian air traffic controllers are sending free pizza to their unpaid US counterparts. I presume they're ordering from local shops, rather than shipping direct.

OreoCookie
Jan 21, 2019, 08:47 PM

I reckon it will last longer than that, and wouldn‘t be surprised if it dragged on for at least another month. President Trump will do anything to avoid the impression that “he lost”, McConnel is MIA and apart from a few spurious Republicans in purple states, I can see no momentum behind opening the government back up.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2019, 12:19 AM

Hamberders

Also, if this drags on more than a couple months when TSA workers etc. start quitting en masse and airports start closing down they might feel the pressure.

Thorzdad
Jan 22, 2019, 09:44 AM

There's one train of thought making the rounds that Trump has inadvertently given conservatives the one thing they've been working toward for decades; a shrinking federal government. The idea goes, the longer the shutdown continues, the more the country will be forced to adapt and learn to function without the federal government's input/assistance/oversight. Additionally, as the shutdown continues, many furloughed workers will simply quit and find jobs elsewhere (as is already starting to happen), reducing the size of the workforce. When (if?) the shutdown ends, those now-empty positions will be eliminated.

It's seen as a sort of "rip the bandaid off quickly" approach.

OreoCookie
Jan 22, 2019, 08:36 PM

Well, but looking who does and doesn‘t get paid, are those really the jobs that conservatives want to shrink? Do they want to shrink the border patrol force? What about the DEA? Air traffic controllers?

Thorzdad
Jan 23, 2019, 09:59 AM

No, but there's also EPA, HHS, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife, NOAA, FDA, FBI, SEC, all of which manage services and programs that consistently draw the ire of conservatives.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Jan 24, 2019, 05:20 PM

Latest Senate vote:
.. Trump proposal (wall, small dreamer protections) 50 yes, 47 no (fails)
.. Dem proposal (no wall, temp funding) 52 yes, 44 no (fails)

note - budget bills need 60 votes to pass.

Shutdown will continue for today.

Thorzdad
Jan 24, 2019, 05:45 PM

As a technicality, the votes were for cloture on the bills, to allow them to come up for a vote, not on the bills themselves. The senate requires 60 votes for cloture.

Thorzdad
Jan 25, 2019, 02:03 PM

andi*pandi
Jan 25, 2019, 04:26 PM

Thank the air traffic controllers.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2019, 08:22 PM

He got owned by Pelosi, which is going to make him seethe inside. There will be no wall.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

OreoCookie
Jan 25, 2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Let's hope it's not a train … 
I'm surprised Trump caved that quickly, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of tactics he'll try to coerce the Democrats into agreeing to his demands.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Jan 25, 2019, 11:36 PM

Almost a week before February. I certainly missed.

Trump is threatening to declare a national emergency in mid-Feb, then divert funds from other programs. But that would be challenged in court, and experts consulted do not believe it would work. There doesn't appear to be any emergency on the borders - illegal immigration is actually way down.

OreoCookie
Jan 26, 2019, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
There doesn't appear to be any emergency on the borders - illegal immigration is actually way down.
Even if there were an emergency, hiring more immigration judges and improving processing of registered immigrants who arrive at the border would do more. But for some weird reason President Trump seems opposed to do that and instead wants to build fences in the desert.

Forum Links
Forum Rules