Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 8.6 to ??

8.6 to ??
Bob Y.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2001, 12:27 PM

Hi,
I have an iMac 266 w/ 8.6. Where do I go from here? 9/9.1/9.2.1/10/10.1/10.1.1????
And what do I need to do it...
I found the Apple web site uninformative. I hope to get good answers here.
Thanks.
Bob
It's NEVER easy!

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2001, 02:47 PM

Well os X would be nice, but if you don't have the native X software and dont want to spend the money on it then just hold off on that.

Go out and get a copy of 9.1 retail. Its stable and works great on my older computers. 9.2 is not really necessary, its just the classic OS optimized to run under X.

BUT.. if 8.6 is working for you fine and there isnt some piece of software that you reallllly want that requires a 9.x then I don't think you need to upgrade just for the sake of doing it. 8.6 is pretty stable and most programs require that as the min. so you are safe there. But its your call and your money.
[/LIST]

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2001, 07:56 PM

Unless there is some specific reason you need a newer OS, don't fix what isn't broken. You can no longer buy any version of the OS except X at retail (unless some dealer has invetory left), which means you would have to install 9.2, which comes in the X package.

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: KarlG ]
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Griz
Nov 19, 2001, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Bob Y.:
<STRONG>Hi,
I have an iMac 266 w/ 8.6. Where do I go from here? 9/9.1/9.2.1/10/10.1/10.1.1????
And what do I need to do it...
I found the Apple web site uninformative. I hope to get good answers here.
Thanks.
Bob </STRONG>
OS 9.1 Any thing below or above is useless. Very stable and new features.
Griz PS. You can get an Apple 9.1 CD from http ://www.sknetstore.com for $65.00 +s&h and 3 day delivery via USPS
Been there,Done that

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Griz ]
G4 Quicksilver 2002 800Mhz CD-RW Zip 250 15 inch LCD Apple Studio Display HPdeskjet 940c OS X 10.3.2

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2001, 12:35 AM

I have been using 8.6 for almost two years. Recently it has been more "fragile" ...

Anyway, today I purchased Mac OS X with 9.2.1 CDs. My goal was to upgrade to 9.2.1 with a clean install, check everything out then go back and install OS X. Not so fast...

Starting up from the 9.2.1 CD brought up a message: "This disk is unrecognizable. Do you want to re-initialize?" Of course, I didn't, but...

That's the first time I have ever had a CD not recognize the hard drive. Any ideas?

Beige G3/300 Mhz/384 MB/8.6
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2001, 09:34 PM

Good news. I ran NU twice, then Disk First Aid. Everything chekced out. Then I started up from the 9.2.1 CD. This time I didn't get any indication that it was unrecognizable. To be sure, I ran DFA from the CD to "verify." Everything checked out. So, I began the "Clean Install" process. Twenty minutes later I was up and running with 9.2.1. Now I am slowly adding back my useful stuff (especially FinderPop!). Everything is working great!
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2001, 11:02 PM

8.6 is a bit buggy, but if its working allright for you, you should be fine. If you're not using OSX, then definitely use 9.1, or preferably 9.0.4, as it does not incorperate any of the cumbersome aspects of osx compatibility, or impose the annoying file architecture that is forced on us osx and classic users. (Though it might be better for running carbon software)
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules