Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Crash when trying to 'software update'

Crash when trying to 'software update'
Bobby
Jun 24, 2000, 06:56 PM

My iMac with OS 9.0.4 seems to crash every time I try to download an update in the software update control panel. I tried disabling all unneded extentions and also removing all extra USB periferals, but it didn't make any difference.

I also experience a weird problem when trying to update quicktime from the online update application it came with, every time the program goes to download a different file (as the updates tend to be in a few pieces) the program gives an error, I end up having to re-run the update program and am then able to resume where it left off, but again when it gets to the next file in the update it does the same thing. Depending on the size of the update I may end up having to relaunch the update program countless times...

The wierdest part is I also have an iBook with an almost identical configuration (minus the extra periferals), and both work fine on it. I did try deleting the preferences for both (software update & quicktime) and also tried coping the preference files over from the ibook...

I'm guessing its probably just something gone awry in my system, and most likely would need a nice fresh install, though I'm not fully sure its even worth it since this is about the extent of unexplainable software issues I have, I pretty much end up waiting for the updates to come in a stadard download and install form...

But I thought it might be worth it to ask...

------------------
[This message has been edited by Bobby (edited 06-25-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2000, 07:43 PM

delete the Updatable Items file as well as the Software Update Log file

also delete a bunch of pref's:

1) Apple Menu Options Prefs
2) AppSwitcher Preferences
3) ASLM Preferences
4) Control Strip Preferences
5) Display Preferences
6) Expansion Manager Prefs
7) File Exchange Preferences (reset File Exchange control panel after restart, UNCHECK 'PC Disks: Mount at Startup)
8) Finder Preferences
9) Mac OS Preferences
10) Memory Preferences
11) PPC Registration Database
12) QuickTime Preferences (if you have QuickTime PRO you will need to re-enter your registration number in the QT Settings control panel)
13) Sound Preferences
14) System Preferences
15) TSM Preferences

seems like i am forgetting some pref's files, any you feel like deleting, go for it

of course, restart after you drop the above files in the trash and after restarting reset whichever control panels need resetting according to your needs

when done, rebuild desktop with techtool

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 06-24-2000).]

alex dent
Jun 26, 2000, 04:14 PM

there is only one file i need to delete to make software update run without freezing on my g4/9.0.4. it�s "Software-Aktualisier. Protokoll" in german macos, translates maybe like "Software-Update Protocol". this is created after you updated the software, and when i move it to the trash software update will run fine again.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2000, 04:55 PM

yes that works for me too... it translates in English to 'Updatable Items'

i have to trash it before each time i use Software Update... but my Mac has never crashed due to the Software Update control panel, and this person's Mac does, so that invariably means there is some extra corruption to be weeded out of the OS by deletion of pref's files...

tangentially speaking,in my experience an extension conflict (excepting printer drivers, and maybe a few other drivers) is pretty much an unheard of thing these days... i have seen Conflict Catcher report conflicts (not on my Mac, i won't have that hand-holding software junkola on my Mac, i shoot my own troubles... heh heh) that were actually cleared up by deleting certain pref's files and had little or nothing to do with the extension load order or any of that nonsense...

a wacky pref's file, the right one, can cause the damnedest issues, and software such as CC when used to 'detect' what is going on may only be 'intelligent' enough to 'see' an effect rather than the cause, leading you to place a bandaid on the symptom rather than cutting out the cancer-causing agent!

i find that a shotgun approach when deleting pref's files is damn near a panacea for the MacOS (8.xx - 9.xx) on any Mac, as i said there are notable exceptions being certain printer drivers made by certain companies that shall go unnamed here

Bobby
Jun 26, 2000, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by alex dent:
there is only one file i need to delete to make software update run without freezing on my g4/9.0.4. it�s "Software-Aktualisier. Protokoll" in german macos, translates maybe like "Software-Update Protocol". this is created after you updated the software, and when i move it to the trash software update will run fine again.
Where would this file be located? I can't find it or any variation there of on my hard drive anywhere...

------------------

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2000, 09:18 PM

jeez.

Updatable Items

i've said it several times now in various posts that i know you have read

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2000, 09:21 PM

it's in the Preferences folder, which is in the System Folder

it's called... (drumroll)

Updatable Items

Bobby
Jun 26, 2000, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by wlonh:
it's in the Preferences folder, which is in the System Folder

it's called... (drumroll)

Updatable Items
Oh, I thought you were saying it was a german version of the file... I already tried deleting that file, but it didn't solve the problem...

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules