Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iDisk in Keychain

iDisk in Keychain
Bobby
Jul 15, 2000, 09:55 AM

Playing around with my iDisk I noticed even though it pretty much behaves like an appleshare type server, It doesn't want to let me add the password to my keychain.

Is it possible to do it?

------------------

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2000, 10:18 AM

when your iDisk is mounted on your desktop, drag it to the Keychain Access control panel window and let go

bingo

Bobby
Jul 15, 2000, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by wlonh:
when your iDisk is mounted on your desktop, drag it to the Keychain Access control panel window and let go
It doesn't seem to want to work. It displays the item in the keychain. But if I unmount it & remount it, it still asks for the password, regardless if the keychain is locked or unlocked. Ironically, if I click the checkbox to add it to the keychain, it will add the item (multiple times) but if I unmount and remount it, it still needs the iDisk password. and still oddly enough if the keychain does happened to be locked, it doesn't prompt me to unlock it, it only prompts me to enter the password for the iDisk itself...

------------------

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2000, 01:49 PM

what can i say, i am a broken record: it works just fine for me...

try deleting the Keychain Access Prefs file

Bobby
Jul 15, 2000, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by wlonh:
try deleting the Keychain Access Prefs file
I've acually already tried that as well. What's ironic is the same thing happens on both my iMac and iBook...

------------------

Bobby
Jul 17, 2000, 09:00 PM

Interestingly enough I have more info on this subject. I was playing around with my keychain & noticed if I double clicked the item in the keychain, it opened a window with a button that said "go there". I hit that and it mounted my iDisk. I thought I could drag this link out, however it created an appleshare server shortcut, which again asked me for the password when I double clicked on it (not the keychain password but the disk password). Again I checked off the option to add it to my keychain, and again it recreated the same entry. However when I opened the link, because it was an appleshare server shortcut, it opened my network browser, which then showed the item in the network browser list.

I think part of what may make a difference is the method used to mount the iDisk. I created an alias of it directly in my apple menu items (along next to my iBook shortcut, or next to my iMac shortcut on my iBook). When I select it, even though the password is in the keychain, it still re-prompts me to enter the password for the "server" itself. I'm guessing the method posted above used a different method to mount the disk...

And again this reflects performance on both systems, so its not likely to be a random glitch...

------------------in a row? (sorry I had to add that, it was my 37th post)

[This message has been edited by Bobby (edited 07-17-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules