Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > USB on a 6200. Possible?

USB on a 6200. Possible?
Bokonon
Dec 26, 1999, 10:46 PM

Don't laugh but I'm still using a Performa. I plan to upgrade soon but want an extra hard drive now. I would like it to be USB.

Is there a way to get USB on a 6200? There are no PCI slots. Is there a SCSI to USB converter?

THANKS!

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 1999, 01:40 AM

Well, i know there are USB-SCSI to make SCSI devices USB compatible, but i can't remember wether or not they have one that goes the other way. if oyu had PCI, i would say get a USB card. look around at some of the card makers to see if they have NuBus cards (i assume the 6200 is NuBus since the 6100's are) Other than that, i can't be of any help

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 1999, 02:24 PM

Why not just buy an external SCSI hard drive (which would cost about the same as a USB external hard drive)? I don't know of anything that could get USB on your system.

When going to your next system, buy a USB-SCSI converter if you wish to keep your drive.

An external SCSI drive will be much much faster than an external USB even on a 6200. (5MB/s vs 1.2MB/s)

drewman

Bokonon
Dec 31, 1999, 02:00 AM

Mac, Drew,
Thanks for the help. I had hoped to find a converter for the Performa and chuck it for the new Mac. Since I don't think there are *any* slots on this mac, fire wire or USB seems out of the question. Drew, I'm going to go with your suggestion. I'll have to hope that SCSI is still compatible with my next Mac- most likely a voice activated, HDTV, multiprocessor G5.

abrody
Dec 31, 1999, 01:04 PM

USB isn't worth it on a machine that already has SCSI. SCSI is 5 times faster than USB for practically all purposes.

If you want to add a scanner, SCSI scanners do cost 2 to three times as much, but they are worth it. Epson has been good enough to
make its Stylus 740, and 900 printers both serial and USB compatible. So if you were looking to get a printer, I'd get either of those because that way you can print now, and later when you get the newer technology. SCSI is still the only technology you can get a cheaper CD-R drive. CD-RW is the only recordable CD technology available for USB, and is less reliable.

The only reason you might want USB is for gamepads which are practically all USB now. But for that purpose you could buy your own Playstation or Nintendo and attach it to your TV for $100.

Sincerely,
[email protected]
Check out my index of over 300 Macintosh sites, with links updated monthly at:
http://www.index-site.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules