Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spanish keyboard layout

Spanish keyboard layout
newcomer
Jul 12, 2003, 05:09 AM

I have figured out how to switch between the UK and Spanish keyboards. If I need to write Spanish it is cool to be able to choose the Spanish flag from the drop down and away I go.

However - finding out which key and character is where, on my UK keyboard is a pain and I might as well be sticking with my UK settings and just inserting characters from the palette.

Is there anywhere online where I can see a picture of the UK iBook keyboard that shows which key writes which character when Spanish is chosen.

Also are there Spanish dictionaries out there for OS X, that will spell check in Appleworks and Mail?

Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2003, 05:27 AM

Select the Spanish keyboard layout from the Menu bar. Then goto Utilities folder and open Key Caps. You'll now see how the Spanish keyboard is laid out. To get the � you need to use the two keys next to letter P, the two square brackets keys. You press one of them first, then press the corresponding key you want the �on top of.

Also, holding down Shift and looking at Key Caps program will show you the other 2nd character on each key.

Best,

X

Originally posted by newcomer:
I have figured out how to switch between the UK and Spanish keyboards. If I need to write Spanish it is cool to be able to choose the Spanish flag from the drop down and away I go.

However - finding out which key and character is where, on my UK keyboard is a pain and I might as well be sticking with my UK settings and just inserting characters from the palette.

Is there anywhere online where I can see a picture of the UK iBook keyboard that shows which key writes which character when Spanish is chosen.

Also are there Spanish dictionaries out there for OS X, that will spell check in Appleworks and Mail?

teknologika
Jul 12, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by newcomer:
As far as I am aware, the system dictionary selection is based on the order of the languages in the languages tab of the international preference pane. For example if I want to spell colour the aussie way, I need to put Australian English at the top of the list instead of English which is the American spelling. I assume that this is how it would work for espa�ol as well.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2003, 10:18 AM

Yes, for the system apps like Mail, if you choose spanish as main language, the system will check all is ok. For AppleWorks I think you need the apple works dictionary

Forum Links
Forum Rules