Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My iBook backlight shorted and died...

My iBook backlight shorted and died...
King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 09:53 PM

The backlight on my dad's 2001 iBook just died after I spilled soda on it. If I hold a bright light up to the screen I can see the screen. Is there any course of action that can be taken to replace it? (Warranty expired, no AppleCare)

[EDIT}
Opened the iBook, could not find anything that would resemble a flourescesnt light. someone help (is it built into the screen?)
( Last edited by King Bob On The Cob; Jan 29, 2004 at 12:12 AM. )

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 29, 2004, 04:02 AM

My understanding is that the backlight can be replaced, but can be expensive; a few hundred dollars - Apple should be able to carry it out, but you may get it done cheaper elsewhere.
Try doing a search on 'backlight' within this forum - there's heaps of threads on this matter.

Dr.Michael
Feb 3, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
The backlight on my dad's 2001 iBook just died after I spilled soda on it. If I hold a bright light up to the screen I can see the screen. Is there any course of action that can be taken to replace it? (Warranty expired, no AppleCare)

[EDIT}
Opened the iBook, could not find anything that would resemble a flourescesnt light. someone help (is it built into the screen?)
You find backlight bulbs for 69 USD here:
http://www.wegenermedia.com/lcdpage.htm#tools

If you try them, please report your experience.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2004, 02:53 AM

It's probably not the backlight tubes that are toasted, but the inverter board that supplies them with power.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 9, 2004, 02:54 AM

It's probably not the backlight tubes that are toasted, but the inverter board that supplies them with power.

And yes, the tubes are built into the screen, you have to disassemble the LCD assembly to gain access to them -- but again, I doubt you need to.

tooki

King Bob On The Cob  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

And yes, the tubes are built into the screen, you have to disassemble the LCD assembly to gain access to them -- but again, I doubt you need to.

tooki
So anyway to pick those up without buying a whole new screen/top portion of the iBook?
[EDIT]
Found one on eBay, it's cheap enough I could probably convince my dad to pick it up, wish me luck.

gigglebyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 01:28 AM

that is a big bummer and they are right it is probably the inverter board that is dead but you never know it could be something else on the logicboard...price to fix it through Apple is $823.95 + any local tax...for that price you can buy a new one...now the reason it is so much is it is accidental damage and is considered a tier 4 repair...if you can get an LCD assembly for a lot less it might be worth it.....as for the backlight it's self it is TINY...2mm diamater and getting to it is not easy at all...I got to see the backlight on a 15" Powerbook yesterday and it is amazing...it goes along the bottom of the display and not the middle which supprized us all
iBook 14" G4 933, 640Meg, 60GB, BT, APX

Forum Links
Forum Rules