Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Someone help me figure out the "Lets all hate Bush" policy...

Someone help me figure out the "Lets all hate Bush" policy... (Page 2)
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Depends what you mean by "great economy". IMO, growth isn't a pre-requisite for a good economy. See, the thing about growth is that sooner or later you end up with nothing to grow into. Stability is much more important.
What do you consider stability to be?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by itai195 View Post
What do you consider stability to be?
A gentle upwards trend without emphasis on "growth".

Imagine two homeowners.
Homeowner A moves house every two years into a larger property, does it up, moves again, stretches the mortgage. That's growth.

Homeowner B stays put, prefers to put money into savings. Maybe he'll move when the time is right and he's saved enough to pay cash for it. That's stability.

If everyone does the "A" thing, pretty soon the top end of the market gets locked solid (something which the UK market is showing at the moment) and this slowly filters down to the rest of the market. If the housing market collapses, A is screwed, big time - while B will be sitting pretty.

nath
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 01:15 PM

Imagine two homeowners.
Homeowner A moves house every two years into a larger property, does it up, moves again, stretches the mortgage. That's growth.
No, that's growth in the housing market. Brits do tend to get almost myopically obsessed by it, but it's not the only show in town. E.g. both exports and manufacturing are up this year. Hence...

If everyone does the "A" thing, pretty soon the top end of the market gets locked solid (something which the UK market is showing at the moment) and this slowly filters down to the rest of the market.
UK growth for this year is forecast at 2.6% per cent by most analysts, higher even than the Treasury's most optimistic forecasts.

You've been predicting doom for the UK economy for a while now Doofy. Care to say when it's going to get here?

(I know it's inconvenient to your standard spiel for the longest period of sustained growth and economic stability to take place under a Labour administration, but honestly - where's the beef?)
( Last edited by nath; Oct 28, 2006 at 01:20 PM. Reason: BBcode formatting)

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by nath View Post
No, that's growth in the housing market.
No, that's an example.

Originally Posted by nath View Post
UK growth for this year is forecast at 2.6% per cent by most analysts, higher even than the Treasury's most optimistic forecasts.

You've been predicting doom for the UK economy for a while now Doofy. Care to say when it's going to get here?
Yep. About three years ago. You just haven't noticed it yet.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 28, 2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by probablecause View Post
Increased spending after the attacks on 9/11!? How dare he try to bolster our defenses and try to track down those responsible. What a waste! Gee wiz, how come I didn't see that.
Esp after such things were cut to balance the budget in the 90s.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 28, 2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Cut taxes for the rich. And eat up those free golfing trips.
I am not rich. And I favor it. Only if they were being over-taxed however.

You shouldn't be punished just because you have money.

This is what happens. The Dems will overtax the rich (Except for themselves) and claim it is "good for the people"

Then the Repubs will lower that tax down to a more FAIR level, and the Dems scream "THEY ARE FAVORING THE RICH@!!! THEY DON'T LIKE THE POOR!!"

It's just obnoxious. Not favoring the rich. Treating them fairly. NOT PUNISHING them.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I am not rich. And I favor it. Only if they were being over-taxed however.

You shouldn't be punished just because you have money.

This is what happens. The Dems will overtax the rich (Except for themselves) and claim it is "good for the people"

Then the Repubs will lower that tax down to a more FAIR level, and the Dems scream "THEY ARE FAVORING THE RICH@!!! THEY DON'T LIKE THE POOR!!"

It's just obnoxious. Not favoring the rich. Treating them fairly. NOT PUNISHING them.
You should watch what Bill Gates and Warren Buffet said about the Republicans tax policy. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates said the Republican's tax policy is outrageous and is too generous toward the rich and needs to increase taxes for the rich in order to make it fairer.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
You should watch what Bill Gates and Warren Buffet said about the Republicans tax policy. Warren Buffet and Bill Gates said the Republican's tax policy is outrageous and is too generous toward the rich and needs to increase taxes for the rich in order to make it fairer.
The *only* fair tax is a flat tax - same rate for everyone, with no allowances. Period.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 10:10 PM

The *only* fair tax is a flat tax - same rate for everyone, with no allowances. Period.

Yup! One flat rate for everyone and there are no deductions/exemptions/exclusions. It should be that xx% of every dollar/Euro/Pound you take in during a given year should go to the government and the rest you get to keep. Tax cuts and tax increases would go away. And everything should get taxed. Whether your money comes from salary or savings, gifts or capital gains, it should all be taxed at the same flat rate. There should be NO exemptions. Once the government gets it share the rest should be available to the individual and un-touchable by the government.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 28, 2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
So? It's simply not true.

The Top 5% of this nation already pay for 60% of the nations taxes.

You want them to pay more why?

King Bob On The Cob  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
So? It's simply not true.

The Top 5% of this nation already pay for 60% of the nations taxes.

You want them to pay more why?
Can I get a quote or a link to this? I want to be able to throw this at my g/f's mother next time she goes on a rant about how the rich don't pay enough taxes...

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Can I get a quote or a link to this? I want to be able to throw this at my g/f's mother next time she goes on a rant about how the rich don't pay enough taxes...
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/col...iams021401.asp

"Let's first look at the "rich" and the taxes they pay. The top 1 percent of earners ($250,000 and above) paid 33 percent of all federal income taxes; the top 5 percent of earners (income over $108,000) paid 52 percent; the top 10 percent (income over $79,000) paid 63 percent; and the top 25 percent of income earners (income over $48,000) paid 82 percent, or $4 out of every $5 in income taxes."

The author, http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/ , is an economics professor at George Mason University.

Forum Links
Forum Rules