Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac waking up by itself...

iMac waking up by itself...
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2010, 08:39 PM

It just started happening recently. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and my room is filled with light because my iMac has somehow awoken itself. All programs are closed. I have a wired keyboard, wireless magic mouse, and speakers connected to it. Anybody have any idea what it might be?

It's an early 2008 20 inch 2.4 core2duo iMac if that matters.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 25, 2010, 12:07 AM

My 2006 MacBook just started doing the same thing. Even after a fresh restart to the login screen. I allowed it to go to sleep without logging in and about an hour later it woke up. There's no detectable pattern.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 03:39 AM

I have had the same issue with a 2ghz intel iMac ever since it was new. My theory is that static electricity in the desk builds up and the discharge causes a signal to get picked up on the USB controller. Sometimes if you bump into the desk or move something across the desk, it will wake.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2010, 03:46 AM

Well a number of things it could be other devices plugged in (but I don't see speakers) causing this problem then there is also power-cut.
If those could be ruled out it would have to be how Energy Saver SP is set up to Wake = Modem ring or
Admin access & going back to power failure = Restart automatically.

For the Macbook I assume you have it plugged in over night.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2010, 06:30 AM

Mine did that for a while. It turned out that an app I had that changed my desktop at intervals was keeping it awake. While it doesn't sound like that's the specific cause of your issues, I'd look at what is going on in the background on all your iMacs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 10:01 AM

So I googled my problem and apparently there are others just like us experiencing this same issue. One suggestion was to go to energy saver in system preferences and uncheck "wake for network access" if it's checked already. Mine was checked for TV access. Our internet is fairly intermittent (its called Northland cable and it is probably the worst internet service ever) so this could potentially be my issue. I won't be able to test this fix because I'm leaving town in a few but I will report results this weekend... unless I'm too drunk to wake up when my iMac wakes up (if it does).
( Last edited by MacinTommy; Aug 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2010, 04:44 PM

I would be afraid if it starts sleep-walking.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2010, 08:48 AM

Unchecking "wake for network access" seemed to do the trick. 2 nights and no wakeup and my phone has even been connected both nights. Hope this helps some of you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules