Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Question on cloud storage

Question on cloud storage
mindwaves
Jun 27, 2017, 10:56 PM

I use iCloud storage for some personal files (nothing too personal), Dropbox for some client stuff, and Google drive for sharing. I use all of the free stuff, so I only get the minimum amount of storage (maybe 5GB, 3GB, 20GB including emails, respectively). I'm currently using about 500MB, 2GB, and 9GB, respectively, for each of the services, for a total of 11.5GB.

I understand that this 11.5GB of data resides on my local MacBook drive also, as well as the cloud. But considering I only have a 256GB hard drive with other files, disk space is at a premium. How do I only get this 11.5GB to reside on the cloud only (if possible), and assuming I buy 1TB of cloud storage on any of the 3 listed providers above, how would storing data work because I assume that that 1TB of data would also not reside on my MacBook SSD?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2017, 03:27 AM

Dropbox and google drive allow selective syncing of folders so you can switch off syncing for some folders. This deletes the data on your local drive while retaining it in the cloud. You can access it by either re syncing those folders of via the web interface of either service.
ICloud is more all or nothing but you could work around it by ensuring your iCloud data is in either the desktop or documents folders then turning desktop and documents folder sync off. It's not as flexible a solution
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 2, 2017, 08:48 PM

Thanks, I plan on selling 2 of my older laptops and buying another MBP 13" (non touch bar). Thinking of upgrading to 512GB SSD model.

P
Jul 3, 2017, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Thanks, I plan on selling 2 of my older laptops and buying another MBP 13" (non touch bar). Thinking of upgrading to 512GB SSD model.
Pick the touchbar version in that case. Apple charges through the nose for the 512GB flash upgrade, and picking the (much) faster touchbar version offsets that a bit.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves  (op)
Jul 6, 2017, 11:45 PM

I prefer physical keys and the non-touch bar model gets more than an hour more battery life than the touch bar model. Quite significant for me.

P
Jul 7, 2017, 05:29 AM

Do you use any of those physical keys except Esc? Because Esc yes, but you can remap that one.

The battery life effect is exaggerated. The non-touchbar version has slightly more battery because it has one less fan and heatsink, but it is less than 10%.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules