Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ticking processor?

Ticking processor?
damiensmunki
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2004, 02:37 PM

So, I got my new 12" PB a couple of weeks ago, and I'm loving it. However, I've recently noticed that the processor is making a slight noise all the time. It's sort of like a clock ticking. It's very steady and is shown as such in the activity monitor. Another sound of which it reminds me is coffee percolating. The sound comes from the left side of the computer. Is this normal? I never heard anything like this on my PC notebook. I just wanted to check and see if you all have this noise. Thanks for any info.

crunked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2004, 02:46 PM

hmm....that's definitely NOT the processor....it's probably the hard drive!

damiensmunki  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by crunked:
hmm....that's definitely NOT the processor....it's probably the hard drive!
You sure? The activity in the CPU monitor corresponds with the noise. I assumed it was the processor. Whatever it is, is it normal? It's a little irritating, but I think that's because I'm somewhat apprehensive about it.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 03:27 PM

Its the hard drive, completely normal!

dennisbolt
Jul 16, 2004, 05:05 PM

If it is a camera shutter like sound it may be the HD heads parking. Mine does that, but I downloaded APMtuner and it sets the prefs to not park as often.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 07:24 PM

Just FYI: The hard drive is located underneath the left palm rest (where you probably notice a bit of heat). If this area is where the ticking sounds are coming from, you're OK.

t4r1q
Jul 17, 2004, 05:34 PM

I just got my PowerBook this week and it makes the same ticking and humming noises. I'm sure its normal and the manual states that "your PowerBook will make little noises" or something close to that.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 02:37 PM

The aftermarket drive in my Pismo used to do that, though I'd call it more of a 'click' than a 'tick'... I used APMTunerX to change the settings to 254: http://homepage.mac.com/coolmacguy/apmtunerx.dmg

edit: That's the clickable URL.
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Jul 20, 2004 at 02:02 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 12:55 AM

It's not the processor, as processors make approximately no noise. The culprit is your hard disk, assuming you are running a standard Powerbook without any extra devices attached. My bet is that you are running something that saves to the HD every second (most filesharing apps I've used write only once a second or less often, because the incoming data rates are so low).

The reason that the CPU usage spikes is that for a long time now, extra processing that needed to be done got handed to the CPU instead of to dedicated hardware. It makes sense; processor time is cheap and gets cheaper every year, so what's the use of increasing the price of your Firewire interface or your RAID setup by doing the odd jobs in hardware?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules