Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iphone storage question

New iphone storage question
kevs
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2018, 09:51 PM

Just got new iphone 7, and using only 10 of 32gb, but confused: icloud says I'm using 25 of 50GB ....

So why does the phone say I'm using 10GB... Happy about that.. but want know....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2018, 06:04 AM

You know that place where iCloud tells you how much storage it’s using?

It also tells you what it’s using it for.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2018, 04:04 PM

Says right on the phone, also if I go to icloud.com, they have long bar, says 50GB 24 available.

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2018, 04:37 PM

The cloud is not physically located in your phone. It floats around. So it doesn't count toward the physical limit your phone has.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
The cloud is not physically located in your phone. It floats around. So it doesn't count toward the physical limit your phone has.

-t

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2018, 05:43 PM

Andi, thanks so, icloud.com says I'm using 25 GB.

Does that 25 GB not pertain to laptop/ desktop, iphone, all devices?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2018, 07:16 PM

It tells you exactly how much of that is Photos, how much is BACKUPS, and how much is documents.

If you tap on “manage storage”, you can see exactly how much each app is using.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2018, 07:57 PM

S. On iphone remember its only at 10gb. 6-7 GB is the OS. So I'm using very little on iphone. But in cloud it says 1/2 is full, so I'm still curious on my original question: So why does the phone say I'm using 10GB. Don't all devices suck up same 25GB from cloud? (ie, I know desktop/ laptop, that 25GB must be in "mobile devices".. I guess iphone does not share/ access that?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2018, 02:57 AM

When you are looking at your iCloud storage, TAP ON “MANAGE STORAGE”.

IT WILL SHOW YOU WHAT IT IS BEING USED FOR.

(Third try)

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2018, 05:29 PM

What is on iCloud is NOT ON YOUR PHONE. You have access to it through iCloud. What is on your phone may (possibly) have some duplicates in iCloud, but they are essentially separate.

Your iCloud storage is like an external drive. It’s “connected,” but not physically within your device. And since it is (or can be) connected to all of your devices that support iCloud, they can all access and add to what’s there in iCloud.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2018, 05:58 PM

Thanks G, got it... but desktop and laptop will say 25 is being used as icloud does because it's has more hardrive space and uses "mobile documents?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Thanks G, got it... but desktop and laptop will say 25 is being used as icloud does because it's has more hardrive space and uses "mobile documents?
We don't know. We have no way of knowing, because we cannot look at what the phone is showing you when you tap on "Manage Storage" on your iPhone.

On the iPhone, go into Settings.
Tap on the first item — your profile, where it says your name and "Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store".
Tap on "iCloud". Here, it will show you a rough overview of photos, backups, and documents.
Tap on "Manage Storage". Here, it will show you exactly what is using how much of your iCloud storage.

On mine, it says "Photos - 137 GB", "Backups - 23.3 GB", "iCloud Drive - 2.7 GB", "Mail - 2.1 GB", and so on.

What does it say on yours?

(4th try)

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Don't all devices suck up same 25GB from cloud? (ie, I know desktop/ laptop, that 25GB must be in "mobile devices".. I guess iphone does not share/ access that?
If there is space on your phone, then yes. But by default your iPhone will only download photos from iCloud if it deems it necessary. So only a subset of all the photos you have taken are stored on your iPhone. The same goes for other documents and music.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2018, 02:32 PM

Oreo, so the iphone knows not to brings everything in? Whereas mobile document on latptop and desktop, has it all?

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 29, 2018, 07:14 PM

The laptop/tablet/desktop may download the files, but only if you tell it to. All of your iCloud-enabled devices have access to what's in your iCloud storage. They only download files when they are going to edit them, play them, or otherwise interact with them. Your stuff stays in your iCloud storage, which is essentially an external hard drive that is (through the Internet) connected to everything you enable iCloud for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2018, 08:52 PM

G But there is mobile documents which is on my hard drive which gets very heavy in gigs, are you there, Oreo?

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2018, 04:56 AM

Just waitin' for Spheric Harlot here, munching on popcorn....
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2018, 12:10 PM

I think he‘s either put me on ignore, or he really is just another troll account kept alive now that the Yorkshire Rapper was exposed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules