Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > IChat Beta??????

IChat Beta??????
RussGJohnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 01:19 AM

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were as to the possibility that Apple might release the new IChat as a beta prior to Tiger, as they did prior to the release of Panther. It seemed pretty complete at the developer's conference, and a year is a long time to wait.
15" Macbook Pro 2.16, 2GB, 7200rpm HD (on order)
15" Powerbook 1.67, 1GB, HR Screen (looking for a buyer)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2004, 01:27 AM

It kinda relies on H.264, which is Tiger-only.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2004, 01:28 AM

While initially I thought 'Doubt it', I then recalled that you are right. Apple did release iChat AV as a public beta for Jaguar, even though it was bundled with Panther.

But in this case, I really do doubt it. The 4-way video chat relies on a new video codec built into Panther, which will also be updated with Quicktime and CoreVideo. I doubt they would want to update all of these to run the new iChat on Panther.

And besides, if I remember rightly, Apple released the iSight at the same time as iChat AV? robably they wanted to release the iSight, but knew they had to release an iChat that did video too.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
While initially I thought 'Doubt it', I then recalled that you are right. Apple did release iChat AV as a public beta for Jaguar, even though it was bundled with Panther.

Well, yes & no.. The finished iChat V2 was also offered for sale to Jaguar users.

Anyway, i'm sure its quite possible for the new iChat to work in 10.3, New codec or not. But there is a chance it won't happen, because it's one of Apples key incentive points to encourage folk to pay up and upgrade OS..
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2004, 08:49 PM

no H.264 in Panther... So, it's out of picture.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2004, 02:43 AM

Adding H.264 to Panther would require...upgrading Quicktime. Ergo it would be no great feat to port the new iChat to Panther. The only non-portable aspect would be the CoreImage effects in the video chat which is hardly a key feature to the program. It would be entirely possible to do multiple video windows just using accessory windows or some such. The likelihood of a Panther version of the new iChat is pretty slim however. The new conferencing features are meant to entice people to upgrade, the more of those features that end up in Panther the less reason people will have to upgrade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules