Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do You Have/Like T-Mobile?

Do You Have/Like T-Mobile?
WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 07:27 PM

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for a Blackberry (friggin Washington, Dc), and I currently have Verizon. I upgraded my phone last year, and since i signed a 2-year, I'm not due for a new phone for a whole year -- and would thus have to pay retail.

Since i'm a Mac user, I'm not going with a Treo (Windows Mobile = not able to sync, Palm OS = obsolete), and thus have decided on the Blackberry. Teck geek, of course, so I want the 8700, which Verizon won't have for a long time. T-Mobile comes out with an 8700 tomorrow.

That being said, who here has T-Mobile, and is it decent? I know it won't compare to Verizon, but is it acceptable?

Thanks!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2006, 07:34 PM

Yes / Yes / Yes.

Especially if you travel internationally, it's THE way to go. Out in bumfrick nowhere, different story...

-t

Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 07:49 PM

I had T-Mobile for a very long time when I lived in Fairfax. The coverage was great up there and I loved it. I only switched because I couldn't get a decent signal in my house after I moved.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2006, 08:10 PM

If you get coverage, T-Mo is the only way to go.

They'll let you change plans (and change back) when you travel.
They helped with my unsupported phone.
They give you the least amount of runaround if you want to unlock your phone after your contract is up.
They don't charge for number portability.
CTZ is hawt.

Edit: oops, I meant CZJ.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 17, 2006 at 04:08 AM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2006, 08:13 PM

Only Verizon has metro coverage. FYI.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Not for long. Their contract is up and other providers are building their networks in there now.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2006, 08:27 PM

A mixed blessing.

Back in the end 90ies, the Berlin metro ("U-Bahn") got coverage from all major German cell phone providers. At times, it annoied the heck out of me to hear all those young kids talk and talk and talk. A U-Bahn ride was so much nicer and quieter before it got covered for cell phones.

-t

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 08:48 PM

visit howardforum.com and check t-mobile people in your area. Do the offer the 3o-day return thing that Cingular does? If so just check it out and if it sucks drop them

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 08:57 PM

I get great coverage all over the US on Cingular and in Europe too.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

indigoimac
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 09:05 PM

I have T-Mobile, switched from Cingular in December, and I couldn't be happier. The signal is great 5 or 6 bars almost everywhere, and the int'l service should also be pretty good. Cingular's agreements w/ carriers in Europe are pretty bad, and my last trip(Italy) in November was the last straw, I could never get my voicemail, it was absolute crap. Also be sure to get a quad band phone so you can piggy-back on Cingular's network if you're in the middle-of-nowhere, this is pretty important because t-mobile's network is not expansive, but there are no roaming charges and it's good to have the safety net.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006, 09:08 PM

I've had Cellular One (now part of cingular I believe), Sprint, and most recently Tmo since I started cell service. Tmo has given me better customer service and better cell service by far than the others.

Further, I know several people with cingular that have had nothing but problems. I can't comment on Verizon other than I hate their commercials.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2006, 09:12 PM

I live in Columbia, outside of Washington DC, and love T-Mobile.

They are great for techies because they give you the most freedom to do what you want with your phone. No crappy firmware blocks to prevent you from doing stuff like transfer photos/ringtones.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 09:15 PM

I've got Tmobile and it's great. They've always been good to me, and I think their packages tend to be more forgiving than a lot of other providers. (That may very well be just be me being biased.) I like Tmobile. I have to agree that not having those firmware blocks is nice. It's absurd to me that a company would block you from using your bluetooth for whatever you intend to do with it.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2006, 09:22 PM

I was there a couple years ago and was wondering why other people got a signal but I didn't.

Got fantastic coverage otherwise though.

On a separate but related point, I can't think of one national service-type company that gets this kind of unilateral praise.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I have to agree that not having those firmware blocks is nice. It's absurd to me that a company would block you from using your bluetooth for whatever you intend to do with it.

Well, with companies like Verizon, they subsidize their lower rates and lower phone prices by nickel and diming you for features on the phone. So it's really a case of getting what you pay for.

WinsOBoogi  (op)
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 09:51 PM

Thanks guys -- this has been more than helpful. I'm going to sign up for T-Mobile tomorrow.

Thanks for the really quick and really helpful replies -- more than appreciated.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 10:14 PM

Live in Reston, worked in DC, had T-Mobile, liked the company, liked the phone, hated the coverage. Don't know anyone who has them or had them in this area that was happy with the service.

That was two years ago, maybe it's gotten better.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2006, 12:21 AM

I have tmo and I like it enough to keep re-signing. Coverage is great in cities, but not as good as vzw out in the boonies.
Tmo has a good (detailed and realistic) interactive coverage map online.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by subego
If you get coverage, T-Mo is the only way to go.

CTZ is hawt.

Edit: oops, I meant CZJ.
Quoted for emphasis

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 09:46 AM

I'm in DC and use Verizon. I've been hearing OK things about T-Mobile and have considered switching once this contract is up. Verizon is simply too "our way or the highway" and their constant crippling of service is ridiculous.

But dang if I don't get great coverage.

WinsOBoogi  (op)
Senior User
Apr 17, 2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I'm in DC and use Verizon. I've been hearing OK things about T-Mobile and have considered switching once this contract is up. Verizon is simply too "our way or the highway" and their constant crippling of service is ridiculous.

But dang if I don't get great coverage.
Yeah, agreed. Ever try to deal with one of their customer service reps? Attitudes, attitudes. The only thing they know how to say is, "I don't care what the sales agent said. In the contract, it says...". Repeat. Repeat.....repeat.

nerd
Senior User
Apr 17, 2006, 10:04 AM

I had T-Mobile for years and liked it. I only went with Cingular this time because T-Mobile didn't appear to carry Sony Ericsson phones anymore. T-Mobile has better deals, as in their 3000 minutes a month for $50.

abe
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2006, 10:15 AM

Last year when I was arranging cell service for my fiance I looked around and compared and T-Mobile was the best. After the engagement was cancelled I cancelled service with T-Mobile without ever having used it.

A couple weeks later I got a bill. I called them and told them the bill wasn't correct.

The rep checked my account, she saw I was telling the truth. She canceled everything with sincerest apologies for the bill.

Not a peep since.

A little thing, but you get the impression of a company in small exchanges like that.

She seemed slightly surprised that I had a problem at all, but that it would be no big deal to fix whatever it was. I got the sense she assumed that THEY (not I) had messed up somehow and that she was making it her business "to get to the bottom of things and work them out right, damn it!"

My impression was that T-Mobile has their stuff together!

I can't wait to need a cell phone just so I can do business with a competent firm, for a change.

And subego, I agree with you. CZJ is smokin hot.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

-Q-
Apr 17, 2006, 01:24 PM

Had T-mobile for 4 years now and they've been great in Atlanta, and I've always gotten coverage when I've travelled to Europe and Jamaica. I can't really comment on their service as I've not really had a problem with them. I think I called them once to activate the international service on my phone, which happened in minutes and was easy and pleasant, and haven't spoken to them in about 2 years.

I know of some people in rurally (yes, it's now a word ) areas that have signal issues, but if you live in a major metro, I think your coverage should be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules