Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Logitech MX 5500 Bluetooth Desktop on a Mac?

Logitech MX 5500 Bluetooth Desktop on a Mac?
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 4, 2009, 06:23 PM

Anyone tried the Bluetooth edition of the Logitech MX 5500 keyboard/mouse combo on a Mac? It is designed for Windows but I don't care about that. I would like to know if it can be used/programmed either by 3rd party software or the Logitech control center software? Also, will it work with the built in BT adapter or is the Logitech one needed (can't see why it would)?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2009, 04:13 PM

Follow the link to get some info.

As for the BT adapter I guess it is not needed… while any modern Mac has BT support out of the box, it is not the same in the PC world, hence Logitech does include the BT adapter, e.g. the diNovo Edge PC Edition comes with it but the Mac Edition doesn't.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 12, 2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the info!

Really wish Logitech would sell the Mx Revolution Bluetooth by itself.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Amerist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Anyone tried the Bluetooth edition of the Logitech MX 5500 keyboard/mouse combo on a Mac? It is designed for Windows but I don't care about that. I would like to know if it can be used/programmed either by 3rd party software or the Logitech control center software? Also, will it work with the built in BT adapter or is the Logitech one needed (can't see why it would)?
I was lucky enough to grab one of these mice by itself from circuit city's going out of business sale for about $7.00. Yeah, I know.

The mouse only partially works on a mac. The primary buttons work and the wheel works in clutch mode but the side buttons and side wheel don't work unless you get steermouse. And Steermouse will cause logitech's control center to stop working so be aware of that if you try it out. Even with Steermouse, not all the functions of the mouse work. Scrolling gets stuck in clutch mode, and the side wheel isn't usable.

If Logitech's own software for the MX Revolution for the Mac could detect the Bluetooth version everything would be fine, but it doesn't as of yet. The hardware is definitely ready, the software just needs work.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 23, 2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info!

Kind of disappointing, but at least we know what to expect now. Hopefully Logitech will update it's software to provide full functionality, but I doubt they will unless they release a Mac version of the keyboard/mouse combo, or release the mouse seperate.

At least it only cost you $7

manofmany
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
Thanks for the info!

Really wish Logitech would sell the Mx Revolution Bluetooth by itself.
Would it be possible to buy the set and just use the MX revolution bluetooth by itself? All I use are the two main buttons and the scroll.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by manofmany View Post
Would it be possible to buy the set and just use the MX revolution bluetooth by itself? All I use are the two main buttons and the scroll.
You need to read this thread again. The post by Amerist clearly states that the BT MX Revo only partially works in OS X due to no official driver support.

mrrwthird
Banned
May 14, 2009, 04:45 PM

I'm using the MX5500 mouse with a Macbook Pro just fine.
Excellent response and almost instant peering from off state,.

The mouse only has the basics functions(left,light click and scroll) and it has been in my bag from day one. I could not function with the mini mice the sell for laptops or travel.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2010, 08:45 PM

I just got one of these and am able to map all the mouse buttons via a trial version of USB Overdrive (I’ll probably try out SteerMouse, too, before deciding which to pay for). USB Overdrive doesn’t see the keyboard or let me remap any of the extra keys, so I’ve got a couple useless ones, but volume/mute, power, and iTunes controls work.

There were a couple times that the keyboard didn’t automatically reconnect when my MacBook woke from sleep (or when I turned Bluetooth on after accidentally turning it off from the menubar), even though it was still paired, and I had to re-pair it. But while typing that last sentence I decided to see if I could replicate the problem and I couldn’t. I only take the laptop anywhere a few days/wk max, so if the re-pairing thing happens sporadically, I can live with it.

The side wheel on the mouse will take some getting used to, but it’s nice to have lots of buttons to customize.

Forum Links
Forum Rules