Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 4 8 15 16 23 42

4 8 15 16 23 42 (Page 14)
andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2010, 12:36 PM

For all we know, he was Kate's horse.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Good call on Eko's brother and Ben's mother. But Christian's body was technically on the island the whole time: he was part of the cargo on Flight 815.
His body was never found. It could have ended up in ocean when the plane broke up for all we know.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2010, 01:48 PM

I'm going to be annoyed if we never find out why the Darhma group came to the island. Did Jacob bring them there (which I would assume to be the case), and if so, what was their purpose?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2010, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I really thought Season 5, when we had four? people in DHARMA, we might get some answers. So in other words, I wouldn't hold my breath.

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2010, 02:34 PM

This is some kind of chess/temptation match. I think Jacob did lure the Dharma initiative there, just like the Black Rock and everything else, to bring pawns to the board.

What bothers me is that they were allowed to leave.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2010, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I'm going to be annoyed if we never find out why the Darhma group came to the island. Did Jacob bring them there (which I would assume to be the case), and if so, what was their purpose?
They do seem to be nudging the story away from having to deal with Dharma ( which would be no small feat ).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 09:34 AM

Thoughts?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2010, 09:51 AM

This show is like getting constipated... the longer it goes the worse it gets, the more frustrated I get, and I can only hope the end is as relieving as I imagine it will be.

Also the Christian revelation (and the Quan reunion) both seem oddly understated, IMO.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 09:53 AM

I think the Christian revelation was to make the point that he was acting to help the "losties," not hurt them like Jacob would have them believe.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2010, 10:02 AM

...and I got that, too. I've been skeptical that Flocke was Christian because I noted that Christian had done a ton to help the Losties (and occasionally invoked Jacob's name to do it)...

For me the big thing to take away from last night is the healthy reminder that Widmore, even if he is trying to save the island, is an evil man (Which makes you wonder about Jacob since he supposedly called him back).

Its still such a cluster****.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

Also the Quan reunion seemed oddly understated, IMO.
I thought they would milk that a lot more.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2010, 10:05 AM

I just know if I was Jin, the kiss would have been the first thing I did.

The hug seemed so... awkward or restrained.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 10:43 AM

Maybe because to Jin, it had been so many years (since he was sent back to the 70s for so many years)? Kind of an "I can't really believe it's you" sort of thing...? I don't know...

MrsLarry
Senior User
Apr 21, 2010, 11:59 AM

I'd love to comment, but I just don't know what to think.

Have we been duped? Is Smokey good and Jacob bad? This would be weird. Why is Sayid a zombie? What's Desmond's role in all this? BAHHHH!!! It's too much.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2010, 12:07 PM

Smokey has killed too many people to be conventionally "good." That's the real problem.

Here's a fun little sequence. Michael can't die because the Island isn't done with him. Ben (who works for Jacob, technically) sends Tom to recruit him. He is to join Widmore (who was banished by Ben for breaking what I assume are Jacob's rules) when he is recruiting Mercenaries. Cut to on the freighter, where Michael, who is working frantically to stall the bomb to save Jacob's candidates, has Christian (MiB) appear to him and tell him the Island is done with him.

It's hard enough to figure out who Ben and Widmore were/are siding with, let alone whether that person is good or bad. Gads.

Edit: "Bram, who appears to side with Jacob tried to talk Miles out of working for Widmore, telling him that "He's playing for the wrong team." So confusing.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM. )

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 02:24 PM

So confusing.
Because they're making this shit up as they go?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Because they're making this shit up as they go?
They've got four episodes left now to make something of this. A masterplan. Though when one makes shit up as one goes, it rarely ends in a masterplan.

Best case scenario: an entertaining ride.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 07:13 PM

Smokey will end up the good guy, Jacob will be revealed to be the devil. The devil is an expert at subterfuge, right? Nothing is as it appears with that guy, it's all about deception at its finest. As for Smokedude killing all those people, he didn't really kill them since they're all already dead. Maybe he was sending them on to their "reward" as opposed to the limbo they were living in. Yes, his means seemed cruel and evil, but he took on the manner and methods that will get the job done, period. Much is at stake.

Of course I could be wrong, but that synopsis sounds to me like something no TV writer could resist. If I was a betting guy, I'd say get ready for lots of warm fuzzies regarding SmokeLocke in the end.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2010, 08:21 PM

Smokey has killed too many people to be conventionally "good." That's the real problem.

Here's a fun little sequence. Michael can't die because the Island isn't done with him. Ben (who works for Jacob, technically) sends Tom to recruit him. He is to join Widmore (who was banished by Ben for breaking what I assume are Jacob's rules) when he is recruiting Mercenaries. Cut to on the freighter, where Michael, who is working frantically to stall the bomb to save Jacob's candidates, has Christian (MiB) appear to him and tell him the Island is done with him.

It's hard enough to figure out who Ben and Widmore were/are siding with, let alone whether that person is good or bad. Gads.

Edit: "Bram, who appears to side with Jacob tried to talk Miles out of working for Widmore, telling him that "He's playing for the wrong team." So confusing.
My problem with the show is all the characters to keep track of. I've been watching the show closely, but I have no idea who Tom and Bram are.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
My problem with the show is all the characters to keep track of. I've been watching the show closely, but I have no idea who Tom and Bram are.
Seems Dakar is way more of an expert than I am. I've watched it regularly and I really don't remember who Tom or Bram are..

(checking the interwebnerdysites Bram was some guy who "worked" for Jacob and was Ilana's friend, got killed by Smokey)

(and Tom was an underling of Ben's in the 2-3rd season, but he was killed off, was gay had a fake beard)

It's all coming back to me. Good times.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2010, 09:43 AM

I remember Tom's name because he had a great line the season Jack was a prisoner of DHARMA. The only reason I know Bram's name is someone somewhere pointed out the irony that he was killed by a piece of wood by smokey. As far as I know it was never mentioned on the show.

But this season I've spent time wandering LOSTpedia trying to jog my memory.

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2010, 11:17 AM

Cut to on the freighter, where Michael, who is working frantically to stall the bomb to save Jacob's candidates, has Christian (MiB) appear to him and tell him the Island is done with him.
So what's Smokey's range then? I thought the freighter was sitting outside island boundaries, so if Smokey can't leave the island, how could he have been Christian on the boat?

Otherwise, it makes sense that he was Christian to Jack and Claire, and even to Locke forcing him to leave and go get everyone else back.

Actually, it seems like both Jacob and Smokey want people to stay on the island. The only folks who ever got to leave were Dharma & Greg.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
So what's Smokey's range then? I thought the freighter was sitting outside island boundaries, so if Smokey can't leave the island, how could he have been Christian on the boat?
Good call, didn't think of that; The boat was technically outside the influence of the island.

Better yet, Christian also appeared briefly to druggy Jack before they returned to island. Someone on another forum said the appearance abruptly ended when a smoke alarm went off (get it? Smokey, smoke alarm?), but I have no idea if its true.

Of course, this may be related to my confusion as to how the hell Smokey new what Locke was thinking when he died.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Otherwise, it makes sense that he was Christian to Jack and Claire, and even to Locke forcing him to leave and go get everyone else back.

Actually, it seems like both Jacob and Smokey want people to stay on the island. The only folks who ever got to leave were Dharma & Greg.
Who are Dharma & Greg?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2010, 12:28 PM

I envy you, Voodoo.

andi*pandi
Apr 22, 2010, 12:44 PM

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 07:44 AM

I enjoyed seeing the Richard episode again.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I enjoyed seeing the Richard episode again.
Bah, humbug. We were promised all new episodes through the Series Finale and they throw in a repeat. Once again, Lost fails to deliver on a promise. I don't sound bitter, do I?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 28, 2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Bah, humbug. We were promised all new episodes through the Series Finale and they throw in a repeat. Once again, Lost fails to deliver on a promise. I don't sound bitter, do I?
On the bright side, we will see the third to last episode on a Tuesday, and the two-part finale on Sunday.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2010, 12:05 PM

So far, this show has done exactly what it says on the tin: Made me completely lost.
I gave up trying to understand it a while back. Now it's just sheer determination keeping me going.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
May 4, 2010, 09:52 PM

Sayid... Sun... Jin... random pilot guy... all dead!

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 4, 2010, 09:54 PM

Awwww. Damn.

-Q-
May 4, 2010, 10:17 PM

Not cool.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 4, 2010, 11:36 PM

so sad.

so ... Smokey's trying to KILL the candidates?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
Sayid... Sun... Jin... random pilot guy... all dead!
I know, much more enjoyable if they had spaced character deaths over a few episodes.

Also, how much does it suck for Frank? Guy got to be scenery for half a season just to keep the illusion of the plane being play.

Originally Posted by MrsLarry View Post
=so ... Smokey's trying to KILL the candidates?
It makes sense. Jacob was the steward of the Island. MiB was trying to kill Jacob, presumably because that was all that was keeping him there. Jacob dies, but 5 candidates for stewardship of the Island are present, and presumably whatever it was that Jacob "had" was passed unto them. Hence, if MiB is to escape the Candidates must die as well.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2010, 09:54 AM

I think we will find that, in the end, everyone is still alive and the alternate universe is the real reality.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2010, 09:55 AM

I don't completely agree. I think the two will be merged somehow.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 5, 2010, 10:01 AM

The chosen ones can't kill themselves, right? Wasn't Sayid's name written on the cave wall? Not that it matters, it looks like it's coming down to Jack and Sawyer as replacements for Jacob and MIB. MIB appears to be the ultimate con man, as is Sawyer.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 5, 2010, 10:47 AM

The chosen ones can't kill themselves, right? Wasn't Sayid's name written on the cave wall? Not that it matters, it looks like it's coming down to Jack and Sawyer as replacements for Jacob and MIB. MIB appears to be the ultimate con man, as is Sawyer.
Which makes sense because hasn't it always been about Jack vs Sawyer? Since the beginning.

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 5, 2010, 10:48 AM

I'm guessing Sayid gave up his candidacy when he made a deal with MiB.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2010, 10:49 AM

Which makes sense because hasn't it always been about Jack vs Sawyer? Since the beginning.
I thought that was a "romantic" subplot, secondary to Locke v Jack (i.e., Faith vs. Skepticism)

I'm guessing Sayid gave up his candidacy when he made a deal with MiB.
Which is weird, you figure he lost it when he became "undead."

MrsLarry
Senior User
May 5, 2010, 10:51 AM

I just had an epiphany while talking to myself...

I thought it was interesting that MiB can't leave the island, and Sawyer DIDN'T leave when he had the chance (the chopper).

But we've seen Jacob off the island, and Jack's been off and back.

Interesting parallel.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 5, 2010, 11:28 AM

I just realized, why hasn't Flocke been using Crazy Claire to eliminate everyone?

andi*pandi
May 7, 2010, 03:02 PM

I don't know who's good or evil any longer, and if I were jack or the survivors I'd stay far the hell away from MiB or anyone else on the fricking island.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2010, 12:10 AM

I think the only goal of these last few episodes is to throw in as many curve balls as possible, with absolutely no consideration for how they might fit the plot.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 11, 2010, 09:35 PM

Haha, Jacob's weaving sucks.

Railroader
Banned
May 12, 2010, 12:16 AM

Seriously, after 30 years they couldn't have improved that hack of a loom or their weaving abilities?

And their mom still looked like she was carrying even more twins after just giving birth (my wife pointed that one out to me).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 12, 2010, 09:05 AM

I enjoyed it.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 12, 2010, 10:16 AM

Sigh.

I guess it followed the LOST theme though - a couple of answers and tons more questions.

-Q-
May 12, 2010, 10:18 AM

So it was their "mother" that set up the rule that Jacob and Smokey couldn't kill each other. Who set up that rule for Ben and Whidmore?

Forum Links
Forum Rules