Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 5 - High rate of crashes

Safari 5 - High rate of crashes
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 09:49 AM

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a very high rate of crashes with Safari 5? I get at least 20 per day (I'm on my computer for 9-10 hours a day for work). At first I thought it could be unstable extensions, but I even disabled them and the crashes continued.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 10:31 AM

I was having a few -- maybe 3 a day, not near to what you're reporting -- but they went away when I removed the adblock extension and installed the adblocker SIMBL plugin.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I was having a few -- maybe 3 a day, not near to what you're reporting -- but they went away when I removed the adblock extension and installed the adblocker SIMBL plugin.
I run Glimmer Blocker, so no need for that extension. I've switched to the Webkit nightly builds and it seems to be MUCH more stable.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 16, 2010, 01:30 PM

At work, on Win7, Safari 5 has been crashing a lot with one specific site (our helpdesk ticket software, which sucks in more ways than it doesn't). Other than that, it's been fine at work, and it's been fine at home on my Mac Pro (with ClickToFlash beta 1.6.9 or whatever the latest is).

-Q-
Jun 16, 2010, 01:38 PM

I am seeing more crashes than usual, (3-5 a day so far). But it's always been on pages with Flash, so I suspect it's my out-of-date ClickToFlash plug-in.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2010, 01:53 PM

I haven’t had one yet. Which is better than I could say for Safari 4, which would crash about once every other day or so.

(Now watch as Safari crashes on me five times in a row …)

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 02:02 PM

No crashes here. I did uninstall AdBlocker and ClickToFlash first, then reinstalled them.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 04:06 PM

Been rock solid around these parts.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tntracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2010, 04:27 PM

I've had three or four crashes since release. Nothing major...

Tom

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2010, 06:33 PM

I've only had Flash-related crashes. Safari becomes unresponsive when playing some youtube video and then crash.

Much the same as Safari 4, so no extra crashes for me.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

vinko
Baninated
Jun 29, 2010, 03:23 AM

I too had not have any crashes since I upgraded to Safari 5, which I cannot say for Safari 4 particularly with sites that have Flash movies. Although in those situation it is the Flash plugin that crash and not the entire Safari application.

I currently have ClickToFlash v1.5.4 installed, and my OS X is still 10.6.3.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2010, 08:43 AM

Safari 5 crashes/beachballs on some youtube stuff and some Flash based sites. I even updated Flash, but no luck.

At first I thought I was holding it wrong, but the problem is with Safari methinks, and that is no coincidence.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2010, 09:10 AM

Every single Safari beachball I've had *immediately* disappeared when I killed the "Flash Player" process in Activity Viewer.

Safari acted completely normally after that.

I assume that the reason I see very few freezes is that I have Click2Flash installed.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Every single Safari beachball I've had *immediately* disappeared when I killed the "Flash Player" process in Activity Viewer.

Safari acted completely normally after that.

I assume that the reason I see very few freezes is that I have Click2Flash installed.
I have Clicktoflash installed as well (even reinstalled it). The problem arose after upgrading to Safari 5 btw.

morani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2010, 09:37 AM

Try to do a reset. Check of the crash happen of specific site or specific things you are doing.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 10:08 AM

No problems with Safari 5 here. I have Click to Flash installed as well.

-Q-
Jun 30, 2010, 10:37 AM

Haven't had a crash in awhile. I did upgrade my Click to Flash shortly after upgrading to Safari 5 and that seems to have done the trick for me.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 10:39 AM

Mine seems to have cleared up as well. Not sure what I did, but it seems rock solid at this point.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2010, 11:01 AM

Geez, me too. And up until an hour ago I was able to reproduce it (just like the past few days). It's magic.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2010, 11:20 AM

Safari 5 works like a charm on my iMac (only a few crashes so far), but on my PC at work (2.4 ghz P4, 1.5 GB RAM running XP) it's regularly locking my machine.. I keep about 5 tabs open (nothing really demanding, our intranet site, a news site, MacNN, Hotmail and perhaps a Google search) and a few times a day, Safari would freeze to the point that I can't even switch to other applications. Even Ctrl-alt-del takes a while to come up.. and when it finally does, it shows that Safari is using over 500 mb of memory. I reset Safari every other day, so I don't think the cache is to blame.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 02:15 PM

Safari has never ran well for me under any version of Windows, but 5 is fairly stable for me in 7. Firefox or Chrome is still my preferred Windows browser.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2010, 02:45 PM

No crashes here. You should consider installing the latest Flash plug-in or even the hardware acceleration-support version, Gala. Crashes are often due to plug-ins, so if you are using SIMBL plug-ins or others, disable them. Personally, I use them and have had no problems. I'm running the latest OS on Intel. Other than the ongoing memory consumption issue, Safari 5 is working out great for me. Hopefully you can resolve the issues, but if not, there are other browsers available. The latest nightlies of Camino are very good, so check it out too, not just Firefox and Chrome.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

prewarguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2010, 10:54 AM

I have a few crashes every day. Some completely lock up the system such that I can't get to Finder and force quit. and have to do an emergency power off. I am having a very Windows type experience and an going to Firefox until there is an update.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2010, 02:03 PM

Step 1:
Update Adobe Flash plug-in to newest version.

Step 2, if that doesn't help:
Remove RAM sticks from your machine one at a time until the problem goes away. Throw that one away (or get it replaced under warranty).

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2010, 03:32 PM

I think Safari 5 and Flash are simply not playing well together. Safari 5 crashes on both of my computers, and it's always on a site with flash content.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 10, 2010, 04:29 PM

yes, but it doesn't freeze up your machine, does it?

Force-quitting "Flash Player" in Activity Viewer makes Safari behave normally again, every time.

Cold Warrior
Jul 10, 2010, 05:25 PM

With a problem like this, I'd (re)install the latest OS X combo updater, then also reinstall Safari 5 (assuming the combo updater doesn't have it).

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2010, 08:16 AM

'Not one restart nor crash since installing the OS update with Safari 5. However, I have no add-ons of any type other than the basic and current Flash.

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Forum Links
Forum Rules