Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Getting tired of FireFox crashing on me..

Getting tired of FireFox crashing on me..
dzp111
Senior User
Feb 18, 2010, 09:33 PM

On a freakin' daily basis, FireFox crashes on me. I've got the latest updates of everything. I thought well maybe I've got too many apps going on, but about 15 minutes ago I only had QuickTime & FF running simultaneously.

Just for the heck of it I repaired permissions (from external drive), and for some reason there were tons of repairs for Safari -which I don't even use!! Still, FF crashes.

Am I alone?

(The only reason I prefer FF over Safari is for the Zoom-In extension -that's it). Ctrl-scroll doesn't cut it for me.

Any advice?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2010, 10:43 PM

What does the Zoom-In extension do?

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 18, 2010, 11:02 PM

Sorry, it's called Easy Zoomer extension. It just zooms sites larger. It's nice to use on a 13" laptop.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2010, 11:36 PM

In Safari select View->Customize Toolbar and drag the [A| A] button into the toolbar. Done.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 19, 2010, 12:00 AM

Holy fruck!! Didn't know that existed.

Thanks a bunch man! You've just reverted me.

Frig', I'm getting tired of switching browsers...

Curiosity
Senior User
Feb 19, 2010, 01:06 AM

With regard to Firefox, take a look at this page.
Firefox crashes - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
I am using Firefox. It does not crash on me.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 19, 2010, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
With regard to Firefox, take a look at this page.
Firefox crashes - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
I am using Firefox. It does not crash on me.
Thanks, but that site made no sense to me nor did it refer to my qualms. It still crashes!

ibook_steve
Feb 19, 2010, 02:53 PM

I've given up on Safari (crashing all the time) and Firefox (slow and crashing). Firefox is turning into the old bloated Netscape Navigator of bygone days. Chrome all the way! Even more so now that it supports plug-ins.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2010, 04:11 PM

I can't even remember the last time safari crashed on me. I don't use Firefox because I don't like how it doesn't feel like a Mac app.
Vandelay Industries

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2010, 04:55 PM

I am having trouble with both Safari and Camino. I use FF for a specific site which I really don't want to lose. But the former two just slow to a crawl, and become more and more unresponsive. I have 4 Gigs RAM and over half of my drive free. Nothing else is running in the background while I'm browsing, except at times iTunes to listen to CDs. Only force quitting work, then I'm OK for a day and then crash! I do have about 20 windows open, windowshaded, but they are inactive when in the background. Can't yet use Chrome until I upgrade from G5/Tiger. Bah!

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2010, 05:33 PM

I think it's fair to say that neither Firefox nor Safari go around crashing on people. Problem has to be individual extensions installed in either of them causing the crashes.

Used to be that you could check this by logging into a separate plain-vanilla user account, with no extensions installed, then seeing whether the affected app still crashed. Try that and see whether that fixes the problems.

Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2010, 03:49 PM

Why did you need an extension to zoom? Firefox along with most modern browsers has zooming built in.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 21, 2010, 04:24 PM

I prefer zooming with a button(s) instead of command-shift-+. Buttons also makes it easier for when others use my computer.

I tried Chrome the other day. After spending an hour or so with it, it was quickly growing on me. So I thought I'd get my first extension, specifically, a theme. I installed it and it turned out that it was ugly so I uninstalled it, I restarted Chrome and the theme's still there. Went and checked and it tells me that I have no extensions.

I'll wait a little longer before considering a switch.

Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2010, 04:26 PM

A theme isn't an extension, you can revert to the original theme in the preferences.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 21, 2010, 04:49 PM

Oh! Thanks Adam!

AltecXP
Feb 21, 2010, 05:10 PM

Firefox has slowly out grown itself IMO, I was the old stripped down Firefox it was in the .1-.9 days. Now it feels heavy and even bloated IMO.

P
Feb 22, 2010, 05:10 AM

If Firefox is crashing, it's most likely due to a badly coded extension.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2010, 12:44 PM

and as far as safari crashing, Apple blames the add-ons:

Safari: Add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

Forum Links
Forum Rules