Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > guiTweak elements explanation?

guiTweak elements explanation?
Lance666
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2010, 12:20 AM

I use ShapeShifter in OS 10.4.11 and it has "guiTweak" to make elemental changes in the gui. My problem is I don't have a feel for the terminology, the names used to identify the elements. Only by painfully long experimentation involving change, save, restart apps, look around carefully, have I been able to determine that, for example, "Control Exterior Text" is the color for the font for items in a drop list. Thinking about the name "Control Exterior Text" alone would never have told me what it means. I don't know what it controls, and I don't know how to recognize exterior text compared with interior text. I would love to know all 61 elements, but it will take me about another year of experimenting and taking notes in TextEdit before I have my own "cheat sheet" that tells me what each element means in my own language. Does anyone know of a list online that shows examples or at least detailed explanations as to what each of these 61 elements really are? I don't need a programmer's explanation, but I would just like to know what I am changing, what part of the gui will look different after I save the changes and restart the apps. "Etched Text (Front, Rollover)" is an example of how obscure it can be. None of my text is etched, as far as I can see. Even if someone explains to me how my text is etched, I would have to wonder which of that etched text is front and which isn't, and of the etched front text, which is rollover and which isn't. HELP!

PLEASE don't tell me to go to the ShapeShifter site and spend my life looking around. I've been all over it, nothing there about this, and I have even sent email to them, no reply. I simply want to find a link (Aha! That's your task -- provide a link!) to a page with these elements identified.

Forum Links
Forum Rules