Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Adapting to a smaller world

Adapting to a smaller world
aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 11:33 AM

For folks here who previously owned Macs with monitors of 15" or larger, was it difficult giving up three inches of screen real estate? I remember my first Mac, the old Mac SE, had a 9-inch monitor/screen and I felt like I'd bought a little piece of Heaven when I found out my next Mac, a Performa 637CD, had a 15-inch monitor. I'm now using my third Mac, a Kihei iMac DV SE/400, which also has a 15-inch monitor. There's no way I could afford the new 14-inch iBook (TiBook?), so I'd be getting one with a 12-inch screen instead...one step forward, half a step back, in terms of screen size.

Emeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by aapl4ever:
<STRONG>For folks here who previously owned Macs with monitors of 15" or larger, was it difficult giving up three inches of screen real estate? I remember my first Mac, the old Mac SE, had a 9-inch monitor/screen and I felt like I'd bought a little piece of Heaven when I found out my next Mac, a Performa 637CD, had a 15-inch monitor. I'm now using my third Mac, a Kihei iMac DV SE/400, which also has a 15-inch monitor. There's no way I could afford the new 14-inch iBook (TiBook?), so I'd be getting one with a 12-inch screen instead...one step forward, half a step back, in terms of screen size.</STRONG>

Hi aapl4ever,

I'm going through it right now. I have a G4 tower/17" flat panel which, in two weeks, will be replaced with a new iMac. The extra 2 inches may hurt in the beginning, but I also had the original Rev. A. iBook (12.1" screen). You get used to it.

In my case, i've never really liked the tower for looks (prefered the cube). When I saw how stylish the new iMac is, and the specs are double everything I have in my current system, I just had to get one

Cheers,
Darren
- Titanium Powerbook 867Mhz
- 3rd Generation 10GB iPod
- iSight

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2002, 12:34 PM

I bought a tower G4 instead of an iMac last year because I wanted a larger monitor. But I also bought an iBook and I have no complaints about the smaller screen. It is all about trade-offs. I was tired of lugging around a heavy Powerbook, and I specifically wanted the smaller, lighter ibook. If I were buying again, I probably still would get the 12-inch for that reason. I think the additional pound for the larger screen makes a difference when you have to haul it around.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 01:41 PM

The screen size isn't so much an issue to me as resolution is. If you're using a 15" or 17" monitor, you're probably running at 1024x768, the same resolution as the iBook screen. If this is the case, the iBook's picture is a lot sharper and thr screen is very bright, so I think the transition would be pretty painless.

I have a 19" monitor on my desktop G4 running at 1600x1200. The jump down to the iBook's smaller screen was a little more painful in that light. I got around it by shrinking fonts in TinkerTool and turning on dock hiding to maximize the use of my OSX desktop screen real estate.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Tyler Riti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
<STRONG>The screen size isn't so much an issue to me as resolution is. If you're using a 15" or 17" monitor, you're probably running at 1024x768, the same resolution as the iBook screen. If this is the case, the iBook's picture is a lot sharper and thr screen is very bright, so I think the transition would be pretty painless.

I have a 19" monitor on my desktop G4 running at 1600x1200. The jump down to the iBook's smaller screen was a little more painful in that light. I got around it by shrinking fonts in TinkerTool and turning on dock hiding to maximize the use of my OSX desktop screen real estate.</STRONG>
I normally operate at 16x12 on my desktop PC so I thought that stepping back down to 10x7 would take some getting used to. In light of that, during my Chrismas vacation I only took my old 15" monitor when I went to visit my folks. I was surprised when I found that 10x7 wasn't all that constricting even with all the Windoze XP UI bloat.

Methinks I'll really love my iBook when it arrives. It should be delivered sometime around 4:30 PM today.

icantwait icantwait icantwait

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2002, 03:51 PM

My last Macintosh was a PowerBook 540c. The absolute highest resolution was 640 x 480. You'll live.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback, gang.

Arkham, FWIW, my iMac is set at 800x600. Would you recommend 1024x768?

Forum Links
Forum Rules