Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > mac os x beta

mac os x beta
bobo
May 10, 2000, 01:07 AM

has anyone read the news from macweek? i just can't wait to see what they have improved in this beta version of osx from dp3.
it is a really long wait, isn't it? it sometimes seem to me the arrival of osx is all so slow, but then again, it's may already.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 10, 2000, 01:23 AM

Hi,

Next Monday Steve Jobs gets on stage at the WWDC and yammers it up to all the Mac OS developers about OS X. Everyone expects OS X beta to be the big news.

WWDC

Scott H.

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2000, 02:13 AM

In between now and Monday I have to read about 200 pages, write a paper, take two midterms, and work about 16 hours. I'm actually looking forward to all of this as it just brings the keynote ever closer. I've never awaited a beta release like this before- I've been using DP3 more and more in the past few weeks (learning Obj-C too.. what an amazing language!!!) and beta will be.. well it'll be awesome!! OK that was totally random of me.. just had to tell someone. Oh, and does anyone know of a good message board for asking programming related questions? thanks!

nibs
Forum Regular
May 10, 2000, 03:28 AM

you have a programming question about objective c? shoot. i've been studying it too lately; i can't gaurantee that i can help, but maybe.
i also know c, java, some c++, a little shell scripting, and i don't count html as a language.
i once knew fortran, but i never used it.
www.gnustep.org has mailing lists and they also use objective c. you might check them out

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2000, 03:48 AM

Actually my question has to do with procedural C and a stupid little program I'm trying to port to Carbon. It's basically the first thing I ever did in programming, and uses quickdraw to animate a rectangle moving across the screen. The animation was choppy so I went in and implemented an offscreen GWorld to make it smoother. Everything worked great in Classic, but the GWorld routines (and all the sample code) take a LOT of advantage of Quickdraw structs and such- not good object-oriented practice. I ported it and am using all the appropriate accessor functions, but for some reason the GWorld code refuses to draw anything to my window. I've even got some new sample code from the Apple site and I still don't know what I'm doing wrong! If you know anything about this, I'd be glad to send you the project file! Thanks...

Tintim
May 10, 2000, 08:02 AM

Orbit, http://www.remarq.com/ has some Macintosh programming discussion forums.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
May 10, 2000, 11:55 AM

Hi,

Oh, and does anyone know of a good message board for asking programming related questions? thanks!
Hit the comp.lang.objective-c news group. The trafic there is not that high but it seems to be high quality trafic.

Scott H.

fatblackcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2000, 04:50 AM

Hi there
mosr just reported that the Application Menu in OSX (where the Apple Menu is now) may be text based- great idea but that would mean the File/Edit, etc. menus would move all over the place, depending on the length of the name of the app. Stupid.
Good idea to be text based but not on the left...

rumour probably rubbish anyway

Chris

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2000, 07:08 AM

Yeah, MOSR reports so much crap that I'm sure over 90% of it is completely unfounded. What Apple probably did was put an option kind of like in OS 8.5+ where you can have the app name displayed in the application menu. I actually quite like this feature, although you're right, being on the left side could make the standard menus jump around. Not sure how much of a problem that would actually be but it'll be interesting to see what they actually do.

bobo
May 13, 2000, 04:56 PM

just another thought about OSX beta. I wonder why Apple won't make it public, I mean like beta versions of Windows. I remeber when I was still using PC at home several years ago, I got a beta version of Windows 98. And my friend was no developer associated with Microsoft. I wonder why wouldn't Apple do that. I'd willing to pay certain amount, say 30-50 dollars to try the beta release.

aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2000, 02:01 PM

A public beta would be very nice. OS X has been hyped & anticipated for so many years now (remember Rhapsody?) that not allowing the larger Mac community to have the opportunity to use a beta version risks the possibility of waning interest, IMHO.

MacOS761
Senior User
May 14, 2000, 09:46 PM

Orbit, you summed up the excitement in your first post here elegantly. I think this buzz is part of the reason Apple prolly will not release a public beta. The other reason is that Apple has historically been such a closed shop. It's kind of annoying in a way, but really its good. So many of these discussion threads would be useless if they just told us exactly how everything would be ahead of time, and then gave us the betas. DP's are one thing, but full public beta would be nuts. Everyone would be clamoring for improvement requests etc ad nauseum for the two months before the final release, when the co. needs to worry about details, not adding features and whatnot. The thing about the buzz is that Apple gains fans this way. We sit here and root for them instead of complaining this way. It's sort of a twisted psychology thing, but i think we all love it! MS gets harangued because they promise but don't deliver, but we praise Apple because they don't tell us until it's ready, and it's awesome!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules