Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What is the best note taking app?

What is the best note taking app?
drhfk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 07:25 PM

I am looking for a good note taking app that allows me to:

(1) Cut & paste from emails (RTF, HTML)
(2) Cut & paste from OmniGraffle
(3) Create/insert tables

A 2 pane view (outline left, text of entry right) would be a plus. Now it seems that NoteTaker (www.aquaminds.com) and DevonThink (www.devon-technologies.com) are the popular favorites, but I have issues with both of them. NoteTaker doesn't have a 2 pane view and it can't handle tables. (Other than that it's quite nice, even though the non-standard interface looks kinda flimsy.) DevonThink can't handle tables either and it is really annoying that the RTF editor opens in a separate window. Are there any alternatives? (BTW, mail.app would make a great note taker if there was an easy way to edit emails once filed into a directory.) Maple Professional is a great app (www.crystaloffice.com), unfortunately it's Windows only. Any thoughts?

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2003, 07:38 PM

well your feature requests are pretty specific, but it comes to mind that Word does all those things.

I personally prefer omnioutliner - like to keep my notes nice and simple, but if you need all those features, I'd consider going with Word.
cpac

BHD
Mar 31, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by drhfk:
I am looking for a good note taking app that allows me to:

(1) Cut & paste from emails (RTF, HTML)
(2) Cut & paste from OmniGraffle
(3) Create/insert tables
I think cpac is right if you insist on all of these. Table creation is not a feature you can expect in a note-taking application, and is more the realm of word-processors or DTP apps.

On the other stuff, I quite like NoteTaker myself, though agree with you they ought to add a two-pane view option. Why not let AquaMinds know; I find them to open to these sorts of suggestions.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2003, 11:17 AM

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2003, 03:35 PM

This question has been raised at least 3 or 4 times in the past couple months. Everytime, it seems the answer is the same: OmniOutliner. Get it. It's good.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2003, 04:59 PM

Yea, I've tried outliner and it seems too complicated for a simple note taker app that can categorize notes and keep them easily accessable. I like iOrganize (even tho I did the logo/UI icons for the author and he didn't give me credit) I still think it does a great job of notetaking.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

drhfk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 09:30 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. iOrganize is indeed a fine app. As to the tables, a reasonable workaround making the table in Word, Excel, or whatever, take a screenshot and paste it into iOrganize. My only gripe with iOrganize is that it can only handle ONE data file (or am I missing something?) Best regards, drhfk

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2003, 10:47 AM

Mac Journal is a great alternative. Plus, it's freeware.

suthercd
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 11:02 AM

OmniOutliner is a Cocoa app and Services are available. Jotz is worth a look. I use NoteTaker for intensive data harvesting- it is also Cocoa.

HTH

Craig

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 11:03 AM

I like Liner, www.imediasw.com

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I like Liner, www.imediasw.com
Bumping this, Circus Ponies Notebook is the shiznit for the biznit!

philcozz
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2004, 03:54 PM

I second the vote for MacJournal... It's a great app and it's free. I would love a table function, but as has been said already that is even missing in the Notetakers and CircusPonies of the world. I've had the opportunity to look at the new version of Word (2004) and its notebook-like feature allows tables. That will make it pretty competitive. For now, and likely beyond, I still recommend MacJournal.

http://homepage.mac.com/dschimpf/

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2004, 11:40 PM

I prefer OmniOutliner, but I'm curious to try out this new thing that comes with Office 2004 that is supposed to make taking notes in meetings so easy and flexible. But since M$ makes it, it will probably be slow as hell and buggy, so I'll probably wind up sticking with OmniOutliner.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2004, 11:07 AM

Personally, I use Mozilla Composer.
I really like that it saves as (duh) HTML, which means my notes are pretty much future-proof. I don't want my notes to be unreadable in 4 years. Using HTML natively also makes it easy to share meeting notes with others.

I use a template file that has some CSS to give ordered lists a standard outline format (I, A, 1, a, i, etc.). Adding tables is easy, images are drag-and-drop, and of course you can add hyperlinks, snippets of HTML, etc. It uses the usual tab/shift-tab method of promoting/demoting outline items, so typing well-outlined notes is a breeze.

I also use a little script to run through the file and convert latex equations into PNG images, which is handy if you're in a class with some math.

It's not perfect -- I wish it were easier to work with the tables, and it's a multi-step process just to get a new document started. But Mozilla meets my needs much better than any of the other apps I tried.

Here's an example page
( Last edited by Mithras; Apr 17, 2004 at 11:16 AM. )

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 17, 2004, 02:39 PM

DEVONthink Pro will be out in a month or so. DEVONthink PE is very good as well. The ability to create tables/forms will come shortly and should more than fit your bill. It may have more features than you need however.

www.devon-technologies.com
"-Dodge This"

frates
Apr 17, 2004, 03:19 PM

I love VoodooPad (there's a light version for free). It's just like a wiki in a cocoa app, with different kind of exports.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2004, 06:43 PM

If you guys come to some sort of consensus, post the result in the commonly used Mac apps thread so we don't have to rehash this every couple months.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 09:03 PM

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 07:27 AM

Nobody's mentioned Hog Bay Notebook yet, so I will ! It doesn't have tables, and it's recenltly moved in a very OmniOutliner type direction, but I love it. It does have the side-by-side outline/contect display if you prefer, or you can keep it one above the other. It supports Wiki links and URLs too, and you can drag and drop just about anything into the notes area. Worth a look at least.

Forum Links
Forum Rules