Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro and WD Passport

Macbook Pro and WD Passport
Fher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2008, 04:03 AM

Hi im having some trouble with my WD Passports external HD, I have a 2.2GHz Macbook Pro with 2gb ram and two external drives, one silver (120 gb) which has an extra usb cable to power it, and a (160gb) black one which is supposed to be bus powered.

I had been using the silver one for about a year with only one cable and it was working fine, and the black for about six months when all of a sudden they just stopped being recognized. Both at the same time, I was running Tiger at the time, I have now upgraded to Leopard and still no luck.

Its weird because ill plug them into my girlfriends Vaio running windows XP and both of them work fine.

I took it to an apple store on two occasions, the first time the guy looked at it for about an hour and then tried the drives on a macbook and they showed up just fine, he told me that the usb ports weren't giving them enough power and had to be replaced so they registered it and told me to take it home to back up my data and come back the next day to just drop it off.

The next day i went in to drop it off and a different guy was there, i told him what happened and he checked it out again, this time he plugged it into a couple of the MBP they have on display and none of them recognized them, he then plugged it into a MB and they both worked just fine. He told me that the problem were the drives and that since it didnt show up on the other MBP there was nothing he could do. He told me to buy the Y usb cable from the WD home page. So i did and it still doesn't work.

So i want to know if this has happened to any one else and if so how they fixed it. It works perfectly fine on PC's and MB's but not on MBP.

c41
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2008, 06:18 PM

i dont know if this will help you or not...

I was helping a friend the other night who had bought his first mac - a MacBook. he had a WD bus powered drive that was not mounting. I plugged it into my iMac (both using leopard) and it did show up. since he wanted to ultimately use it with his work PC aswell, I reformatted the drive using disk utility and formatted as MS-DOS.

After that it mounts fine on both the iMac and his MacBook.

oldSystem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 02:01 PM

I was going to get a Passport until I saw this post. =/

Subscribing to this post until you find a solution.

jogi
Jan 17, 2008, 06:00 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules