Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Freaky PB behaviour

Freaky PB behaviour
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2004, 07:11 AM

I had a very odd thing happen to me over the weekend.

I was playing Warcraft III: The Frozen Trone everything was working fine. Quit the game (THT CD still appeared mounted on the desktop). I tried ejecting the disk, but to no avail. After a few tries the disk was no longer on the desktop and F12 didn't work at all. Along with the THT disk, my La Cie d2 FW400 drive, BT module, USB disk and BT external mouse refused to work.

I logged out and logged back in, but that didn't help. I tried shutting down the computer, but it froze during the shutdown process so I had to ctrl+cmd+power to restart the machine.

The 1st restart didn't helped partially, my FW drive mounted and all data was in tact, but my BT still didn't work since it was no longer paired with the computer. The worst thing was that my SD didn't show up anywhere. Everything appeared as if the computer didn't even have an optical drive installed (Apple Profiler didn't show any ATA devices besides the internal HD).

Finally, I did a 2nd restart (disconnected everything including the power) and everything went back to normal.

I am running 10.3.2 and I never before lost all my devices like that. I certainly hope it was just a fluke, but I'd like to know if anyone experienced anything similar to this.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules