Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > FCP+Live Editing

FCP+Live Editing
sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 08:18 PM

I just learned today that final cut pro can be used as a live mixer/switch using the multicam tool. Has anybody tried it? If so, what is the difference between fcp and using a real mixer? I am working on helping to start a business on video/photography and with some money problems, we are looking to just use FCP as a mixer. What hardware requirements are necessary to do so besides 4-5 open firewire ports to connect the cameras.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2005, 08:52 PM

as far as i know, the clips already have to be captured to the computer before they can be bundled together into a multiclip. at that point, you can play the multiclip and switch between the streams in real time. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think you can use video sources in a multiclip.

"I start fires!"

sonicularulus  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2005, 08:56 PM

i thought that too, but my nephew spoke to an apple rep about it and they said it can be done...i hope it can..sure will save me hundreds of dollars

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 12:52 PM

Yes, that would be awesome. I've pretty much abdoned my Video Toaster system and am investing in my Mac. Not that I do a whole lot of live work, but it would be great to have FCP handle what my toaster did.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2005, 12:07 PM

It can be done. That's how the Tour de France was done. but you'll need expensive hardware and the software called PictureReady!

Forum Links
Forum Rules