Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help with Backup software

Help with Backup software
KenDallas
May 4, 2005, 10:59 AM

Greetings to all,

I have been looking for a good backup software for my brand new PowerBook. Previously being a fan of Retrospect (on the PC side), I thought I would give it a shot on the MAC.

To my surprise, retrospect was not what I had expected. It does not recognize my external USB drive, and after installing the new drivers update, it insists on erasing the destination drive before performing a backup. The issue here is that I am using the USB drive for other purposes as well. Unless I am missing something Retrospect will not allow me to use a folder on destination drive to store backup files.

I have also attempted to use the trial versions of Superduper and Carbon Copy Cloner. Seems to me I am running in to the same issues with these as well. Both these programs want to erase the destination drive before performing a backup and will not allow me to select a folder on the destination drive to store backup files.

At this point I am convinced that there must be something that I am missing and I am sure there is a way to do what I am trying to do. I dont think backup software should be this restrictive. Ideally I would like to find a way to accomplish this using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper since they both seem very intuitive.

I would very much appreciate any pointers any of you may have for me. Having been a MAC using for just under a month, I have been able to figure much of the things out on my own but once in a while I tend to hit a wall.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules