Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > hmm.. this looks pretty good.. [Looking Glass]

hmm.. this looks pretty good.. [Looking Glass]
Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 09:44 PM

http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.xml

I like it. Finally we can see what the hell is behind these forums.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 10:46 PM

neat stuff. like how the tiger dashboard widgets have their preferences on their back.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 01:11 AM

Ironically, this has been around a while now I'd take a good guess and say the flipping of tiger's widgets was an inspiration drawn from it
Aloha

TheGUiTom
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 01:32 AM

...is it usable? I think not...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 01:50 AM

I think so. There are some really neat things I would find very useful in the video.

Though, yeah. It's mainly eye candy.

What I don't get is, if the back of the window is where notes or prefs are, why is it when you decide to "see what your environment looks like from all sides.." you don't see the notes and prefs? How could you watch a video backwards if there's a note there? And if there's no note, why is it magically there when it needs to be? And in that case, why rotate it to get to it anyway?

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 10:29 AM

aren't those screenshots all from windows? the close, maximise and minimize buttons are all on the right, like in windows.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
aren't those screenshots all from windows? the close, maximise and minimize buttons are all on the right, like in windows.

Looking glass is it's own Window Manager. I'm betting Sun put them on that side to make it easy for Windows users. Looking Glass runs under Solaris, Linux, and there was a Windows build floating around too.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2005, 09:08 PM

I did a consumer testing gig on 3D monitor technology being developed in Japan for son realease dates and it was awesome. Images came alive, Games sucked you into the action as if you were really in the game. This is the next new big tech thang coming and, in my opinion, it will be huge. From what I experienced, I would buy a 3D capable monitor in a second. Peace out.
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

Forum Links
Forum Rules