Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > G4 PB's faster than 1.5ghz likely?

G4 PB's faster than 1.5ghz likely?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2004, 11:00 PM

It seems to me very unlikely. There aren't any Moto chips any faster on the near horizon, especially that would work well in a low power setting. It seems to me that we're unlikely to see another speed bump before the G5 PB's appear, probably early in the new year.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 11:27 PM

In some article I read, apparently there is still one more speed bump on the G4 PB before we get to see the G5 on the PB. Unfortunately, I can't remember the source.

regards

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2004, 11:36 PM

::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 12:19 AM

The "insanely-great" article is interesting but there are no dates, even speculative. One would guess that Moto wouldn't get those to Apple before 2005, at which point it hardly seems worthwhile to put out a last G4 machine.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2004, 03:54 AM

The latest roadmap for the Freescale chips is here, but still there are no specific dates. It is believed however, based on previous info (I will see if I can find it), that the chip updates are coming this year, or beginning next year.

The next G4 iteration is going to be very interesting, sporting system integration with RapidIO (bye-bye FSB), perhaps dual core and always remaining at the well known Powerbook-friendly low power territory. We are talking about the e600 chips here, not the G4 we know today. A very interesting discussion on this can be found here. If people here know something more precise, I am all ears to hear it .

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2004, 04:03 AM

Ah yes, and keep in mind that actually clock speed is not the first priority to improve the G4. The G4 has much room to see improvements, since it has serious bottleneck elsewhere, that modern chips don't have anymore. Even staying at the same clock speed but changing other critical design parameters, would give it dramatic speed boost.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2004, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
It is believed however, based on previous info (I will see if I can find it), that the chip updates are coming this year, or beginning next year.
Yes, found it. Look at pages 32, 33 and 34.

Forum Links
Forum Rules