Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac FS - best audio quality?

iMac FS - best audio quality?
kingskel
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 10:27 AM

Not to duplicate the other audio thread, but:

I've got a flat panel (17") iMac w/the Apple Pro speakers. The sound is pretty low, and when I bring the volume up past "8" (out of "10" max), there is distortion.

I guess I would like to either keep the original speakers or go with visually matching ones (creature, etc.).

What is my best solution? I just want to be able to crank it a bit more. Will the iSub work in this regard? Should I just get new speakers and run 'em through the headphone jack? Suggestions wanted!

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 04:39 PM

with the iSub you can get pretty loud, it really does sound great, I have a really nice stereo and there are days where I'd rather listen on the isub/prospeaker combo. Their are also a ton of other great external packages. I'd say the iSub/prospeaker setup is about equivalent to a JBL creature setup.

I can go volume all the way up and not get distortion, (I actually just made my upstairs neighbors knock on their floor). Hope this helps.

kingskel  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 04:43 PM

I just talked to a dude at the comp shop who told me the iSub isn't compatible with the flat panel iMacs. Harmon-Kardon's page appears to confirm this. So...

Does anyone have experience with the JBL creature?

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 04:51 PM

that's not true at all, I know because I use my iSub with my 17" flat panel iMac, it works right out of the box, no exra software or special hacks or anything like that. The support is built into the operating system.

omarv
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2002, 04:57 PM

sorry I don't mean to be an iSub salesman, but I really like the way it sounds. One thing that confused me when I first plugged it in is that you have to go to the sound control panel and turn up the iSub volume control that apears in the sound output tab.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by omarv:
sorry I don't mean to be an iSub salesman, but I really like the way it sounds. One thing that confused me when I first plugged it in is that you have to go to the sound control panel and turn up the iSub volume control that apears in the sound output tab.
my iSub works w/ my 17" FP...but its crap
and the stupid thing doesn't make the pros sound better at all

bsinc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 01:30 AM

I too have just purchased a 17" iMac and an iSub. The sound from the Apple Pro speakers without the iSub is lacking in bottom end but otherwise smooth and fairly good sounding. Plugging in the iSub does indeed greatly enhance the bass but it also either disables an internal speaker or cuts off the lower end of the audio from the Pro Speakers. The result is great highs, great lows, and a hole in the lower mid-range. I think it sounds better without the iSub than with.

If only there were a way to hook up the iSub without making any other changes to the audio going to the Pro Speakers.

kidfrostbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 01:27 PM

i use a SoundSticks/iSub combo with my 17" iMac and it sounds great (i mean computer sound great, not hi-fi). it can play quite loudly. i have a real problem with gain though - i can only turn my computer volume up to 3 or 4 little bullets before it gets too loud. no settings of sound or audio/midi panels seem to help. a little inconvenient when you're trying to play quietly.

mike

andycroll
Dec 3, 2002, 12:37 PM

Can I suggest that if you're getting distortion at thre or four little 'blobs' you might want to check the volume setting on the program you are using?

For example iTunes should be set to about halfway loud on the App itself to avoid distortion by upping the main system volume (i.e. using the keyboard).

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

Forum Links
Forum Rules