Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Using Dell laptop as enclosure for 2.5" mac formatted drive?

Using Dell laptop as enclosure for 2.5" mac formatted drive?
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2007, 12:56 AM

Hey all,
I have some data that I need off of an 2.5" ATA drive. Where I live, I'd have to drive a ways to get a hard drive enclosure, and I'm rather broke anyway. My fiance has a dell laptop with an easy to remove ATA drive. If I replaced that drive with my own, would there be any way to make my iMac recognize her dell as an external drive?

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2007, 02:32 AM

No Windows laptop I know of has an equivalent to Target Disk Mode, so I don't think that'll work.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 07:08 AM

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2007, 05:02 PM

Thanks for that link. I'm unsure exactly what I need to get. Could anyone recommend me a cheap enclosure for my G4 Mini's drive? It's an ATA drive, 160 GB.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 06:34 PM

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks for those recommendations! How do I know for sure if my ATA drive will work in those enclosures? I can't seem to find anything mentioning that. The only reference I see is IDE. Excuse my ignorance!

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2007, 11:24 PM

Because the drive is 2.5" and it is IDE. That's why we gave you those reccomendations...
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2007, 12:18 AM

Ah. But is there a way to know whether they work for sure with an ATA drive as opposed to a SATA drive? Or would they work with both?

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2007, 12:20 AM

To clarify, I ask, because the picture of the box of the second drive mentions SATA, and I wasn't sure whether I could use that enclosure with my ATA drive as well.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 07:33 AM

ATA enclosures only work with ATA drives. SATA only works with SATA drives. AFAIK.

And damn I wish we had something like newegg over here in Europe. Those prices are incredible.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2007, 08:45 AM

Both of the Newegg products mduell posted are IDE enclosures-follow the links to the manufacturers' pages to see details. Go with either one.

And I happen to have an enclosure that handles BOTH IDE (which is also known as ATA) and SATA drives. No biggie, it's just what the hardware is capable of.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2007, 11:32 AM

Ah, that was my problem. I didn't know that IDE was the same thing as ATA. Just to make sure before I order here, the one I'm looking at says "For IDE to USB1.1, USB 2.0,1394A, SATA and SATA to SATA interfaces."

It mentions SATA, so that's why I'm unsure about it. Is this particular drive maybe one that works with both ATA and SATA? Thanks for all the help folks. I really appreciate it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:49 PM

Yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules