Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Time Machine thinks I have more data than my hard drive has in capacity!

Time Machine thinks I have more data than my hard drive has in capacity!
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 03:51 AM

I tried getting Time Machine up and running today, and was informed that I was trying to put 168 GB of data on, which exceeded the size of my external. I only have a 160 GB Internal drive. I have no other drives mounted that it could be counting in there. Any ideas?

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 05:12 AM

So messing around, I clicked on "Options" in the Time Machine preferences to double check that my external was not being counted. It is indeed in the exclusion list, but here's the interesting part: it says "Total Included: 111 GB" which is the correct count of my used hard drive space. Yet, when I try to do a backup, it still says I have 168 GB to back up. I'm lost as to where this extra data is coming from...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 05:22 AM

Sounds like a bug.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2007, 10:21 AM

I ended up getting it to work by excluding enough things to JUST get it under the supposed limit it had set me, and now it has no problem, and seems to be reporting space correctly.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 10:56 AM

I'm still on Tiger, but I suppose that you in order to have proper backups you may need more space than your hard drive is. That extra space should be for internal metadata information and multiple verions of the same files as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules