Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Curious Gmail/IMAP behavior

Curious Gmail/IMAP behavior
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2007, 03:35 AM

Since switching to receiving my mail via IMAP instead of POP with Gmail, I've been experiencing a couple weird oddities.

1) Occasionally, when I send a message, a copy is saved in my drafts folders (the local one on my iMac).

2) When I compose a new message in Mail, in my sent items (the remote folder, not the local one) saves about five different versions of it in various stages of my composition. It's as if Gmail's auto-save function is messing up and saving copies of each autosave in the sent items folder.

Any one experience these and know how to fix it?

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2007, 02:12 PM

I noticed it for the first time yesterday. For one of my longer emails, I had 9 copies saved in my sent items.
My Blog-pakos.me

Raman
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2007, 12:19 AM

I have the exact same issue except it's compounded by the fact that Gmail sends these multiple autosaves or whatever they really are to my blackberry. Very annoying. I quit using gmail with mail.app

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2007, 02:38 PM

I've had the same issues as well. I looked in my sent mail and one of the messages was copied 33 times. Every one sent to my iPhone but luckily it didn't really send 33 copies to the person receiving the mail. Another problem occurred when I sent a birthday email using one of the new stationary templates in Mail. It was sent and all is well, but in my sent mail box there were many copies of it and each had a different .gif image from the template. Problems aside, for the way I use email IMAP doesn't seem to have any advantage so I'm back to using POP.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2007, 10:05 AM

This is a known issue that IIRC has (at least) a workaround. I'm holding off on IMAP with Gmail for a bit for a few reasons too.

Here's a great page, though:
How-to: Proper Gmail IMAP for iPhone & Apple Mail

krove
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 09:06 PM

One thing about IMAPed Gmail is the "All Mail" folder, which contains alias-like copies of emails in all your other folders. So If I save a note in my Gmail inbox, it is also in my All Mail folder. If I send a message to someone, it is both in my Sent Mail box and the All Mail box. This wouldn't be that annoying except that when searching for messages, they show up twice.

Is there anyway to get rid of the All Mail box?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 09:22 PM

I have this problem, and also I have a terrible time with To-Dos and Notes… sometimes they disappear (really annoying), sometimes I get a sync error, and sometimes multiple copies appear.

krove
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 09:23 PM

I started using a different IMAP account for To-Dos and Notes. It just doesn't work with Gmail's weirdness of copying items into All Mail.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Forum Links
Forum Rules