Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why is Time Machine using less and less space?

Why is Time Machine using less and less space?
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2008, 03:17 AM

My apologies if this should be in the Mac OS X forum. Couldn't decide which it should go under. Anywhos, my time machine backup drive is slowly reporting fewer and fewer gigabytes in use. It's less than half full, but curiously the drive's used space is going down. Is this normal?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2008, 03:28 AM

How frequently are files that are being backed up being changed? Don't forget that Time Machine doesn't back up individual files each time it runs; only the files that have changed will be (in a nutshell explanation...)
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2008, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I know it only adds the changed files...I just can't figure out why it's used space is actually getting smaller overall

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2008, 10:42 PM

Because TM deletes old backups. If you have a backup every hour, and a week from now TM deletes all backups from 0:00 to 23:00 and keeps the last one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules