Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to sync up Mac Mail between two Macs

How to sync up Mac Mail between two Macs
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2008, 09:02 PM

My buddy has a MacBook with Mac Mail set to access three different email accounts. In addition, she's got a lot of stuff stored client-side and not on the server. She just got an iMac and wants to keep both the iMac and MacBook's Mail.app synced up. Is there any way to do this? We thought MobileMe would do the trick, but it will only sync up @me.com mail. Anyone done this?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 10:20 PM

To keep in mail in sync, it needs to stay on the server and you need to access it via IMAP and not POP. There is no solution that would keep mail messages that are stored locally in sync between multiple machines.

It doesn't matter whether the mail account is me.com or another service. Key is that you use IMAP to access the messages and keep them saved on the server. All modern e-mail services should support IMAP. Check whether yours does. Even if you are currently using POP, it should also offer IMAP acces. If it really doesn't, then that's a very good reason to switch to another service provider.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2008, 10:26 PM

I recommended that to her, but the problem is that she stores a lot of archived mail on her Mac, not on the servers...she's trying to find a way to have it sync it all up.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 10:40 PM

MobileMe will sync the email settings (server/username/password) for non-MobileMe mail servers and the address book/calendar contents. Use IMAP to access the email account to complete the syncing.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by JazzCatDRP View Post
I recommended that to her, but the problem is that she stores a lot of archived mail on her Mac, not on the servers...she's trying to find a way to have it sync it all up.
To sync it all up put it on an IMAP server. If she doesn't want to do that, she won't have her mail synced. Period.

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2008, 06:26 PM

How can she get mail that's been saved on her Mac into say, gmail?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2008, 01:34 AM

I will answer this for IMAP accounts generally, but it should work for GMail as well since that allows IMAP access.

When you select Mailbox->New Mailbox in the Mail menu, it will ask you whether you want to create this mailbox on your Mac locally or on any of the available servers. If you create a mailbox on the server, you can then drag and drop all local messages into the folder on the server. Those message will then be available to all other machines that access the IMAP server.

Forum Links
Forum Rules