Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for a note-clipping app

Looking for a note-clipping app
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2009, 02:27 PM

I do a lot of research online, and usually end up bookmarking dozens of webpages because they have a paragraph that I'd like to reference later. I'm looking for a really simple app that would streamline this. Ideally, something that I could highlight a few lines, press a keystroke, and it'd be saved, combined with the other clippings, for me to reference later. Does something like this exist?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2009, 09:10 PM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2009, 11:22 PM

^^^ Eric is right. Evernote, FTW.

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2009, 02:54 AM

OmniOutliner
DEVONthink
and a multitude of others.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
OmniOutliner
Uhm, no. OmniOutliner wouldn't work well for his purpose.

OmniOutliner is used to bring structure into a thought process, not to gather information.

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2009, 04:38 AM

Umm, yes it will. It has a Services clipping shortcut for depositing highlighted content into a special Clipping outline (accessed from the File menu). Been there since the release of OmniOutliner 3.0 and is specifically for the purpose the OP asked about.

There could be better tools available, but if you already have OmniOutliner ...

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 07:20 AM

We also already have TextEdit...which served me well doing my own research in grad school. The advantage I thought of TextEdit having was that I knew how to use it, and didn't have to adapt to some new set of conventions. Plus, I could do what I wanted with it, pasting in URLs, quotes, etc. wherever in a document, and adding whatever comments I needed to. As I said, it worked well for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 10:50 AM

The problem with TextEdit is searching.
If you put the data in multiple TextEdit files, you need to rely on Spotlight, which is not very good for flexible searches.

Also, Evernote supports tags, which can be very helpful to origanize information.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The problem with TextEdit is searching.
If you put the data in multiple TextEdit files, you need to rely on Spotlight, which is not very good for flexible searches.

Also, Evernote supports tags, which can be very helpful to origanize information.

-t
I kept notes for each subject in separate files, so I just had to search the file for a word-and I actually used Word a number of times for this function. TextEdit certainly wasn't perfect, but it did the job.

But if I'd known enough about Evernote then, I might have just ignored TextEdit and used Evernote for a lot of stuff. I think the fact that it's free and works not just with a Mac but an iPhone as well are very strong selling points too...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
But if I'd known enough about Evernote then, I might have just ignored TextEdit and used Evernote for a lot of stuff. I think the fact that it's free and works not just with a Mac but an iPhone as well are very strong selling points too...
Actually, even better. Works on Mac, iPhone, PC, and over the web (web interface).

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2009, 08:08 PM

Evernote now even has a nice Safari plugin too, so you don't have to rely on the Bookmarklet.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules