Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Fixing and Repurposing Old iPads

Fixing and Repurposing Old iPads
ghporter
Administrator
Mar 2, 2019, 06:57 PM

My wife has a first generation iPad, and I have a 2nd gen iPad (both the full-sized models).

Hers had the battery essentially die because it sat locked up for a couple of months - the back story is below...

Mine’s battery slowly but inexorably ran for less and less time until I bought my current unit, an iPad Air 2.

It turns out that there are well reputed “fix it” shops all over the place that can replace the batteries in this sort of ancient tech. The one closest to us is “uBreakiFix”, and I got a quote for less than $80 to replace these iPads’ batteries.

First off, is that a reasonable price? The DIY guides I’ve read start out scary and go into a couple levels of Dante-like Hell after that, so it’s not something I’m going to attempt. But $80 for parts and labor with a 90 day warranty (and for this kind of fix, you can expect it’ll fail pretty quickly if it’s gonna) seems pretty good to me.

Second, while my wife can use hers to read books, I’m not much of an e-reader type person. What can I do with an iPad that’s maxed out but several major OS versions out of date? I’d like to have some purpose for the thing beyond reminding me how much I like the newer iOS versions’ displays and functions.

Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Mar 3, 2019, 09:43 AM

My first-gen iPad Air can't last 5 minutes on a full charge. It dies almost as soon as I start using it. I have to keep it plugged-in to use it.

Anyway... $80 would be a very reasonable price to replace the battery in any i-device. It borders on too-good-to-be-true scary to me. At that price, I wonder if you're getting an "official" iPad battery, or instead getting some anonymous Chinese knock-off (that may, or may not, be an exact fit.) I'd certainly ask a few questions up-front.

Taking apart an iPad to get to the battery is certainly daunting. Definitely not something I'd ever want to tackle.

An out-of-date iPad is pretty much an e-reader/web browser/email thing, which isn't necessarily bad. Certainly iTunes and Podcasts will still work (I use my iPad as my main podcast machine. I listen while working in the kitchen, etc) You might be able to get some older games or apps loaded on it, too. You might get lucky and Netflix or Pandora will still work. Think of it as a far more portable laptop to take with you to the coffee shop, to sit and relax with)

Have you tried to see what apps on the App Store will work on it? Each app listing says whether it will work or not on your i-device.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2019, 10:19 AM

I’m not sure if spending any money on a Gen 1 iPad makes sense.
The iOS is so old and clunky, it’s no joy to use.

What do recurved refurbed iPads (lowest tier) run ?
New they are $329, you should be able to get some for under $300.
These devices would last you years.

-t

Edit: Damn you, autocorrect.
( Last edited by turtle777; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:50 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Mar 3, 2019, 02:24 PM

"recurved iPads" - they straighten out the bent frames?

I hope that's an autocorrect hiccup, because it sounds ominous.

andi*pandi
Mar 3, 2019, 09:57 PM

I have an ipad1 that still works great, but not being able to update it limits the apps, and I think newest itunes wouldn't even see it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2019, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
"recurved iPads" - they straighten out the bent frames?

I hope that's an autocorrect hiccup, because it sounds ominous.

REFURBED.

But, same thing.

-t

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Mar 4, 2019, 09:11 PM

I understand how limited both machines are. But maybe there's a way to use them "differently"? Like as a picture frame, or that sort of thing? My wife's first gen unit will be fine as an e-reader, but I'm not sure what I can use my iPad2 for.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2019, 05:09 PM

picture frame is a good idea, if it will still sync to photostream... music hub?
wonder if ipad1 will run latest kindle/overdrive apps for reading.

Thorzdad
Mar 5, 2019, 06:50 PM

I download any parts and repair manuals available for as many appliances and doohickies I own, and store them on the iPad. It’s pretty handy to be able to access, say, diagrams of appliances when they misbehave.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2019, 04:26 PM

AFAIK, no place other than Apple will give you an OEM battery for an iPad 2. This includes Apple certified repair centers. Apple simply won’t sell them the batteries. On top of it, Apple won’t do a straight swap. They insist on replacing other components, which jacks the price into the stratosphere. It sucks because that stock battery was frigging epic.

We have uBreakiFix here. I’ve never used them, but have a friend who has. It seems fine.

The place I ended up going to cost $90. I made the choice based on them getting pretty universally positive reviews.

Forum Links
Forum Rules