Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rage Pro in X ? sorry....

Rage Pro in X ? sorry....
Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 08:04 PM

Ok I know this has been gone over like a million times, but i never follwed it and i did a search and couldn't find anything. Ok my school, has a Mac lab, we run lightwave as the main 3D app. Well we wanna go up to X and Maya (i'm the new intern mac guru and student) Wellt he last mac person was a moron! she got rage 128 pro 16 meg APG cards in these nice dual g4 500's. If we go to X do we need to get new video cards to have any 3d support? We plan on getting new ones anyway, but the cost of going to X and updating all the other software for x is already up there, so if we can get by a semester with out getting the new cards and displays that would rock. regardless we need to get new displays also, the ladybefor me bought the Apple CRT ADC dispaly, which doesnlt work with ANY other damn retail card, what a bummer. I had the same issue, had to by a new display just to use my new ati 8500 oh well, any way if not we r just gonna have to do some budeting. So can anyone please let me know whats the deal in X withthe RAGE, thanx Guys.

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 08:31 PM

You do not need to purchase new graphics cards. The cards in those machines are fully supported by OS X.

Also, ADC can be changed to DVI or VGA with an adaptor, so you can use your Apple ADC displays with any retail video card.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 08:43 PM

stop wineing

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 08:54 PM

sweeet. the IT guys will be happy, and no u can't use the converter becuase i have the CRT ADC, the one display no one's converter suports. bummer, anyway thats for the rage info man!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2002, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by MacManMikeOSX:
stop wineing
Yeah, he's one heck of a booze hound...

Note that the "Rage Pro" mentioned in the thread title is not the same thing as a Rage 128 Pro.

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 10:24 PM

Oh, so the Rage 128 pro is the one thats fine, tis the Rage Pro thats in the imacs thats not supported right?

vasu
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 10:59 PM

Exactly. And the old IT person isn't a moron for getting those cards. That's what came in those machines, and depending on when they were bought, might of been the only card that was available at the time. (Nothing from nVidia at the time, the Radeon wasn't out yet, the Formac card sucked, etc).

Rage Pro is an old 4-6mb, 64bit chip. The Rage128 (128bit) is a 8-32mb chip.

These cards are supported by OSX, but they can't do Quartz Extreme. You'll need some form of Radeon or nVidia card for that.

If I'm not mistaken, the graphics card wont help Maya in anything, all the rendering is handled by the CPU. Newer cards like the Radeon9700 I hear can start to help in those tasks, but software support isn't there yet.

Liquidity X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 12:00 AM

acully the radeon was avalible back then, cause i got it in my dual 500. and thanx for clearing up the rage Q's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules