Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > ATI Rage Orion on a PC?

ATI Rage Orion on a PC?
prae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2002, 01:15 AM

Would it be possible to run an ATI Rage Orion on a PC mobo? I'm just curious because I've got one lying around, but I checked ATI's site, and they dont offer PC drivers it.

Anybody had any experience with this kind of stuff?

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 12:29 AM

It would theoretically work. I believe the Orion is the same chipset as the Rage Magnum (the difference being that the Magnum has 32MB VRAM, Orion has 16MB). However, you would need an updated PC firmware for the card. I know of no way to flash the card, aside from hacking your own firmware flashing utility.

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2003, 09:24 PM

The rage orion is the Mac PCI version of the rage 128. The orion along with almost all ATI cards are not "flash-able" since ATI does all the firmware work and make the card (unlike Nvidia where they just make the chip, drivers, and firmware) to my knowlege the ATI 8500 is the only flas-able card, only due to a error on ATI's part in a firmware update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules